46 Days into weight loss

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by fadetoz, Sep 11, 2019.

1. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I went to Yellowstone for vacation in July and when I got home I had just had it with being overweight. It kind of came to a head after being overweight for the last 15 yrs. I kept creeping up higher and higher and I have not felt great for quite a few years. The health problems kept coming and I tried to just say for the last few yrs I think something is just wrong with me. Well after vacation I had it like I said and finally gave in and admitted to myself that being lazy and 47 and eating whatever I felt like for the last 40yrs was my problem and not something else. I was told I need hip replacements and refuse to do that for as long as possible too.

I didn't go on a diet but I decided to switch to clean eating and started back to the gym. Cutting out allot of carbs and junk food. I started eating healthy and do a fasting period of 12 hrs. I stop eating anything at 7:30 pm and don't eat breakfast until 7:30 - 7:45 am. For the first time in 15yrs I'm under 230lbs. Last weigh in was 223 after about 46 days and I feel better than I have in 15 yrs. My daughter had never seen me under 235lbs.
    I looked at pictures from vacation and felt ashamed and weighed in at 256 lbs.

I know this is way off topic but I just wanted to share with my forum family here. If any of you are feeling the same way do what I did and quit waiting to get your life back.

I have a long way to go. But I have hope and I feel allot better.
    IMG_20190726_192545-COLLAGE.jpg 00100sPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190907144133744_COVER.jpg

2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Nice work!

I’m not a dietitian or anywhere near a food or exercise expert, so I won’t comment on the way you’re going about it, or the way I’m going about my weight loss, but I know how good it can feel to start coming down from a peak weight, especially when you find something sustainable that got you there.

Good job!

JurnyWannaBe, so1om, mofojar and 4 others like this.
  3. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Congrats on your progress !

I've lost about 7-8 lbs in the last 2 months just by cutting out sodas, sugar in my coffee and deserts.
    I'm a big guy at 6'1" 285.
    I really need to get at least under 250 !

JurnyWannaBe, so1om, mofojar and 6 others like this.
  4. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Thanks @drewcp

Thank you too @fattboyzz
    Good job @fattboyzz .. That will continue to help you loose weight for sure. i didn't drink allot of soda but I used allot of creamer and that stuff didn't help me for sure.
    Adjusting to black coffee after using so much creamer wasn't easy.

Wishing you both luck as well..

JurnyWannaBe, so1om, mofojar and 4 others like this.
  5. JoeInMichigan

JoeInMichigan Squier-Meister

Jun 10, 2018
    Michigan
    Congratulations!That's great. I started getting serious about a year ago,dropped 40lbs in 90 days and kept it off so far,do feel so much better.

so1om, mofojar, dbrian66 and 2 others like this.
  6. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    This is awesome! I am a bit of a health nut food geek. I don’t have a weight issue, I have more of a vanity issue, there I said it!!

Jk kind of but yes my family has bit of a genetic heart issue, it may not be genetic though, it’s probably just bad diet through the generations.

So back on aug11th, I went full Keto or Laird Hamilton style diet. No sugar, no pasta, no carbs and no rice! Nothing processed. I’m Filipino, do you know how hard that was? Lol. I’m loving it. So much more energy and focus. I’m working on more music even at 5am before everyone gets up. Surfing better, being 7lbs lighter helps with that. I feel much less edgy as well.

Keep it going boys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JurnyWannaBe, so1om, daan and 5 others like this.
  7. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I started with the Ian K. Smith book "clean& Lean". I don't think it's the same but sounds really close to the Keto you are doing. I haven't had beef and carbs in 46 days. I do miss some of the great food but then I look at my belly and think about how I feel compared to how I felt when I would eat all the foods I love.
    My hobby isn't eating so I don't need to live to eat. I need to eat to live. I'd just prefer not to feel terrible and die before my daughter grows up too.
    Plus there are so many guitars I need to maintain and I have music to write.

so1om, surfrodguitar, mofojar and 3 others like this.
  8. Treynor

Treynor Squier-holic

Jun 22, 2016
    Dallas, Texas
    Congrats on your commitment and successes on improving your health, Fade! Now I need to get going on losing that 15 lbs of body fat I've been saying I'll do all of 2019.

so1om, surfrodguitar, mofojar and 2 others like this.
  9. Matt Shevell

Matt Shevell Squier-Nut

Feb 5, 2018
    New York
    Good for you!
    You’re an inspiration bro

10. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    That's awesome. My weight has been up and down over the last 15 years. When I met my wife back in 2004 I was 199 lbs and 42 years old. I immediately lost 30 and got to 169, felt amazing. When I was 47 I had 8 bypasses but my weight had crept back up to around 180. Even after all that my weight kept creeping up and about 2 years ago I went over 200 for the first time in my life in my mid 50s. That's just stupid and irresponsible on my part. My wife is 16 years younger than I am and will undoubtedly outlive me by probably 30 years so maintaining my snacking and such is not only stupid, it's unfair to her. About 2 months ago I was 204. I lost 19 lbs very quickly just by quitting coffee and daytime snacking and I was on the treadmill just walking an hour 4-5 days a week. Since then I put 5-6 lbs back on, started drinking coffee again etc. and not doing the treadmill. We have a great gym membership and even have a small gym in our house with a very nice treadmill. Saturday was my last day of coffee (we were in Germany for a wedding and the jet lag was bad) and I've already lost a couple of lbs just from that. This morning I was 192.0 and my goal is 175 by Christmas, very doable for me. It can be done!

11. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Great work!

I did the same last year, and dropped 70 (getting down to 217 for the first time in decades). My main conscious dieting move was removing bread, and then 20 lbs down, started exercising.

I hit a pothole last December when I fell and ripped my rotator cuff, and then had the surgery in February. Dr said to eat well while healing (though I still kept off the bread). I’ve put 25 back on since, but I’m back to avoiding bread, and my walks are getting back to what I was doing.

It’s some work, but the rewards at our age are many.

so1om, surfrodguitar, mofojar and 2 others like this.
  12. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Congrats to that!! That is awesome. And congrats to all you guys loosing that weight.

I was in a similar situation last December. I am only 5’6” and around Christmas I got on the scale and it said I was 200 lbs. I have never been that heavy. And like you, I just said enough is enough. I had acid reflux, cholesterol was high, blood pressure creeping up, and the worst was I had to hold my breath to tie my shoelaces! LOL. So with the start of the new year, I started walking a lot. Every chance I got. Like at work, if I have to use the restroom, I go to the farthest one. Simple stuff like that. I tracked my steps and shot for 14,000 steps a day. I also cut my calories down to 1500 calories a day. I didn’t stop eating any type of food, just a lot less of everything. Well by June, my weight was down to 160 lbs. like you, I feel better than I have in years. No more reflux, cholesterol and blood pressure are in check. I’ll be 50 next year, and I can do more things now than I could when I turned 40!

Thanks for starting this thread. I thought about it a couple time but didn’t think anyone would really want to hear about it, but is seems like several of us have been trying to get healthy!

13. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Good going, FT. As you said, a "diet" is not the answer, you need a permanent change in eating habits. For me is was eliminating about 500 calories per day that I didn't miss. One soda, a few pretzles, things like that. The thing that's not always obvious is that if you lose 20% of your body weight, to stay there you need to eat 20% less than you did before because you're not working as hard to carry that weight around. That's somewhere around 500 calories per day.

14. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Has to be a change is how you live or it will always be a problem. I don't look at it as a diet either :)

15. Dave M

Dave M Squier-Nut

Feb 27, 2017
    Mira Loma, CA
    Good for You !!!!
    Less Carbs.....Less Weight !!!!
    Keep it up...!!!

radiotech, so1om, fadetoz and 2 others like this.
  16. frankthedog

frankthedog Squier-Meister

May 17, 2010
    SE Ohio
    Well done - my wife and I switched to diet bread, no sugar drinks and a daily salad years ago and it has done wonders for both of us.
    Congrats - you will be so much healthier going forward!

Treynor, so1om, fadetoz and 2 others like this.
  17. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Nut

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    Great job everyone who is keeping weight off!

I was up to probably 290 and I'm now down to about 255 on a good day. I'm 6'2" so my goal for the end of the year is to try and cut that down to 240 if possible.

Treynor, radiotech, so1om and 3 others like this.
  18. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Grouse hunting
    Congrats brother and welcome to my "used to be" world. Two years ago I was put in the hospital for Congestive heart failture, hemochromatosis, high Cholesterol, and diabete's A1C that was so high I could have shared the numbers with the neighbors, the oxygen hose hanging out of my nose "COPD" is a different story but I certainly feel better than I used to. I've made a serious change in my lifestyle which includes diet, exercise, zero intake of iron because of my hemochromatosis "iron overload" and has damaged my liver, that really sucks but chicken and veggies has become my best friend. I eat two eggs and sausage "no potatoes or bread" for breakfast and very small healthy dinners and I eat at 3pm every day and don't touch a single thing after that. If I snack, it is nothing more than a small portion of popcorn between breakfast and dinner. I don't eat fruit because fruit is natural sugars and it raises my A1C. Diet has because simple and routine for me, I cant honestly say I enjoy it and I really miss eating what I want but I'm surviving. I do get to cheat every once in a while and eat what I want. You can do it. The fun part is your taste buds begin to really like foods you have always hated. I use to hate veggies but now I have dinners with nothing but veggies. GOOD LORD I'VE TURNED INTO A RABBIT...:eek: Good luck...……..

Treynor, radiotech, dbrian66 and 2 others like this.
  19. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Since the first 30 days were very limited after awhile fruit is like candy to me now.

20. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Congratulations. It'll keep getting better and better.

I had a similar experience. About 5 years ago we went to the beach during vacation and we're all running around in the sand. My wife had taken a pic of me and one of my daughters. Later I saw a pic of me and I was like.. woah! I knew I had the start of a beer belly and the middle age spread, but for whatever reason I thought.. enough.

I didn't change too much of what I ate because I always ate kinda average (I go to a doctor yearly as part of an old melanoma treatment from the 90s). So while I wouldn't eat tons of junk food, fast food or even cans of pop, what I was doing was simply eating too much!

I started tracking my food and calories with MyFitnessPal on my phone -it's free. Just hit my targets each day and after all these years, I knocked off 40 pounds and kept it off -215 to 175. I should lose about 5-8 more, but I ain't trying THAT hard....

What I noticed; examples: the thoughts of certain foods turn me off. The thought of more than one bowl of cereal turns me off. I now know portions and can take what is a serving of ships for a snack, or side. One hot dog is enough! Going out to eat and taking home half or that patty melt and tater tots is great because I have lunch the next day.

Other tidbits: I no longer have any acid reflux or heartburn. I was simply eating too much food. I actually found available calories to enjoy a desert or ice cream -simply too full from the main courses. I haven't had to cut out anything from my diet. I sleep better. because I sleep better, I have more energy. Because I have more energy, I can do more, and well.. burn more calories. Overall this heavy fog has lifted from so many aspects. Plus with a little hair color, people often think i'm younger than I am. :D

Stick with it. Off topic or not, we're here for you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice