3 saddle top load tele bridge.

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Dr Improbable, Jan 12, 2019 at 8:09 AM.

1. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I was looking at a tele knock-off online, and I noticed it has a 3 saddle top load bridge. Top load isn't a deal breaker for me, but I've never played one that was a 3 saddle. Opinions? I can't try the guitar out. I just want to know if any of you brainy types think this would affect anything. yes, I know I could change it.

lpckbnhlw4korhqt8cuv.jpg

daan and RoyalWe like this.
  2. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-Meister

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas Coast
    On tele builds that dont have ferrule holes drilled I like the 3 post tele toploaders...Never had a problem with them.

Dr Improbable likes this.
  3. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I have both string through and top loader and honestly I cant tell the difference in them.

MadJack and Dr Improbable like this.
  4. Dr Improbable

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    For whatever reason, it was the 3 barrel saddle that threw me. Thanks!

5. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

I've seen more than one person say that top loader Tele bridges make the strings easier to bend. I've never been able to try this comparison back to back on guitars with otherwise identical specs.

I like the 3-barrel saddles, but usually change the saddles to imported compensated ones for about $12 a set.
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=323114377032

Recently I heard about these that look more like original barrel saddles, but are drilled at an angle to achieve compensation. They are US spec hardware, so the heel of the bridge may need to be drilled a bit larger for the intonation screws.
    https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-compensated-telecaster-brass-saddles-0058544049/

Changing the top load bridge to the through-body setup is not so simple. You have to drill the through-body holes, and you want them to align nicely on the back side of the guitar. If you use thin drill bits through the bridge plate from the front, these will wander off course and emerge at the back in random places, and then you would not be able to install the string ferrules in a straight line, or the larger bores for the ferrule cups could overlap.

You would usually drill half way through from the front and then take the bridge plate to the back to use as an alignment guide. There are videos and tips online as to how to do this. You also have to be careful to not chip the finish when drilling the larger holes for the string ferrule diameters.

Stratlover84 likes this.
  6. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    image.jpeg I have a few 3 saddle top loaders.Compensated saddles make it easier to intonate correctly. The standard barrel saddles may or may not be spot on.

Dr Improbable and Worshipcaster like this.
  7. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I had a 3 barrel top loader. I liked it.

8. I can't hep you with your question. It does seem logical that string thru or top load wouldn't have any noticeable differences.
    I ordered a Wilkinson bridge to replace the stock one on a VM Thinline. The string thru holes are directly under the intonation screws and have to bend around them to line up correctly on the saddles.

Tele.jpg
    Tele2.jpg

Cheers. Barrie.

9. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    My favorite Tele is a top loader with the hammer saddles and I'm thinking about swapping it out with a more traditional ashtray type bridge with the 3 saddles. My last partscaster Tele build has a Wilkinson bridge just like yours and it's a very nicely made bridge and it didn't break the bank. 20180720_132851.jpg 20180314_175659.jpg

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  10. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma

11. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    I’m a big fan of the Wilkinson bridge. I put one on my Sawtooth Tele. No noticeable difference in sound but I like the vintage style better.
    1C9EE182-FB51-4722-8D19-ED737C4EEACC.jpeg 95528B4B-09AD-43C0-BD70-AFC530A44243.jpeg

12. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    The only reason I'm debating on putting the Wilkinson bridge on my MIM is the holes show due to the stock being being longer. Otherwise I'd have it on there already.

13. Worshipcaster

Worshipcaster Squier-Nut

Feb 4, 2012
    Dominican Republic
    :eek::cool::cool:

14. Dr Improbable

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I have a set of compensated saddles here leftover from another project.

15. txflood

txflood Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    North Carolina
    I always thought my Dad's 58 tele played just fine with it's top loading bridge.
    IMG_20171225_101600144.jpg
    Jim Campilongo seems to think so too:

https://www.jimcampilongo.com/gear.html

squierTony and Luvs2yoko like this.