24 years ago today, Rory Gallagher passed...

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Dr Improbable, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Full documentary "Gallagher's Blues"

2. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    That’s a great doc, Mr Gallagher was a HUGE talent. The world is a poorer place without him, but at least we still have his music.

3. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Nut

Sep 8, 2018
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    Rory, the man, the legend, the blues

Greatest of all time! My insperation and VERY underrated. I love Rory Gallagher my favourite musician ever!

4. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Thanks for posting..
    his playing kind of reminds me of jimi..
    but watching the documentary seems he had many styles
    Ill have to gather some of his CDs for the road..

Love the look of that original road worn strat..
    Is there a custom shop version?.. just out of curiosity of coarse.. could never afford such a thing..
    be a fun build though..

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  5. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Cool vid. Never really knew much about his music or him

6. rorygman

rorygman Squier-Nut

May 9, 2017
    Barcelona
    Thanks so much for posting this @Dr Improbable, and ... yes, @squierbilly - there is a Custom Shop Rory Gallagher strat. But guess what, it's not competitively priced!
    Cheers, rorygman :cool:

PS Once voted 'Best guitarist', back in the day! (Readers poll in Melody Maker, 1972. Eric Clapton was 2nd)

7. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    There's a custom shop version. A while ago, I watched an extract of a video where you could see The Edge of U2 visiting the Fender custom shop workshop, chatting with the staff that make the R. G. reliced strat and GASsing over the guitar. He's a huge Rory Gallagher fan.

8. rorygman

rorygman Squier-Nut

May 9, 2017
    Barcelona
    Lots of people are aware of Rory's influence on other guitarists, and the interviews with Brian May of Queen, and with Slash of Guns'n'Roses, are well known. This is a great 10 mins+ interview about the G Man with Alex Lifeson of Rush, which I for one had never seen before:

9. GregNZ

GregNZ Squier Talker

Oct 28, 2010
    New Zealand
    RIP Rory - I have the DVD "Ghost Blues The Story of Rory Gallagher" which I believe maybe part of the documentary above.

The thing I love about Rory the most is that he was what I call a blue collar musician. Rory wasn't interested in becoming rich and famous, he was only interested in music and taking it to the people from his early days playing in the Irish show bands and fusing Irish and Celtic music with blues, rock 'n' roll, jazz and country...Rory's music will never die and thanks to his brother Donal and dedicated fans around the world...

Greg S.

rorygman and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  10. Big fan of Rory here. I'm fortunate enough to see him in the late 70's and follow his career prior to the internet.
    Simply amazing talent that will resonate well into the millenniums … no question.
    A humble acknowledgement to all involved in keeping Rory's music and legacy alive. Cheers, Barrie.

BlueSquirrel and rorygman like this.
  11. rorygman

rorygman Squier-Nut

May 9, 2017
    Barcelona
    Dr Improbable likes this.
  12. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Cheers @rorygman. ;)

It is more well-known that Rory Gallagher also influenced prominent Irish bands/guitar players Thin Lizzy and Gary Moore and that they got lucky enough to open for him or play with him.

However it is perhaps a little less-known that Johnny Marr of The Smiths is a massive RG fan as well. Here is a video of Marr playing Rory Gallagher's strat (I could be linking to your own channel without realising it - my apologies if this is the case!).

Have a great Sunday!

rorygman and Dr Improbable like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice