2019 Gibson DC "Junior"

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by duceditor, Sep 1, 2018.

1. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Gibson has to their credit (IMO) been making an effort towards making some of their guitars more affordable. Finding their way here has been difficult. Some attempts have been musically worthy, again, IMO, but not taken hold in the marketplace.

The Les Paul CM is one such. I own four Gibsons -- three of them high end models. The CM, which I got brand new as a leftover 2015 for less than $400, is by far the most often played.

But its not finding its place in the market is in a sense not a surprise. Its 'wash' black finish is unique -- and to many simply not appealing.

Just this morning I came across this on Sam Ash's site -- which took me directly over to Gibson's own. To ME this guitar is a winner.

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 10.39.09 AM.png

They say it's a Junior in name only. I suppose by that they mean there is nothing deminuative about it. But to me its strength is that is a Junior in fact. Solid mahogany body. True P90. A rosewood board. Basic controls. And a classic shape that has been been fitted with a nicely to-the-shape- contoured guard.

Interestingly (if not appealingly) Sam Ash sells it for the full price seen on the Gibson site -- but says it is discounted from an MSRP of $1329. No, it ain't. It is full price.

But still.... that is IMO a fair price.

One feature that it has is a set maple neck. This is a break from the tradition of using a set mahogany neck on a Junior. But from my experience with the CM it is a good one.

The CM has a carved maple top over the mahogany body -- more 'les paulie' the 'juniorie -- and I find that combo absolutely superb. The maple glued to maple making the guitar amazing "solid" -- of one piece -- in its feel. But I expect that this Junior sounds and feel completely righteous.

With a list of $799 I'd not be surprised that with patience one would be able to get it for $600 or less. That's still a lot of dollars when compared to a bolt-on Epi. But to me at least is really not a bad deal at all if the guitar is a pure Gibson as it appears to be.

Mighty sweet in my eyes. I truly hope it sells well and helps Gibson again find it corporate legs.

-don

2. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

Definitely double cut Junior-ish and right up my alley. Something I would part with money for...

dbrian66, squierbilly and duceditor like this.
  3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    If only it was TV Yellow...

dbrian66 and duceditor like this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
  5. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    It's rather interesting how Gibson is on these looking to keep manufacturing costs down.

The Junior usually has a small cover on the back used to access, and, initially, to install the wiring. In this it is like the senior' of the family -- the Les Paul.

Gibson here, though, has taken a lesson from Leo and his Strat design, but taken it a step further. For it appears that ALL the wiring right on up to the jack is attached to the pickguard. And this allows for ease of construction (likely, as are most modern Gibson, modular with snap connectors -- not soldered.)

The body just thus needs only a single rout for PUP, the controls and jack -- and one for the attachment of the neck. Apart from that it is basically a board.

It would be interesting for me to know if the two screws on the soapbar -- the ones between the pole pieces -- serve any function at all. I'd not be surprised if PUP height is controlled by the two outer scres. Again, very Fenderish.

That blue is lovely. But on that particular instrument the tonal mismatch is not to me very desirable. Other images I have seen appear so well matched the the body looks like a single piece of wood, only slight changes in grain pattern giving its multi-piece construction away.

Again, that too is out of the Fender playbook. Most Gibsons are book matched -- i.e., having just one seam in the center. And ideally similar grain radiating from there.

-don

PS - The Les Paul CM, likely because it was a limited issue, was made without the modular approach -- quite rare for a modern Gibson. One supposes that overall cost was lower hand wiring the relatively few instruments made than would have been required to design and make a limited run modular control system. But with that I was very pleased.

LPCM15SESN1_ELECTRONICS_PANEL_03 (1).jpg

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  6. Matt Shevell

Matt Shevell Squier-Meister

Feb 5, 2018
    New York
    I’m on the fence about this.
    I give the company credit for trying to make a lower priced model, but for that price you could buy 2 or 3 very good quality import guitars.

dbrian66, Taurus and jeepster61605 like this.
  7. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    That's true. And comes back to a theme often discussed here: How much is having a "real" Fender or Gibson worth to each of us?

I am personally split down the middle. I can play Squiers and Epis with total pleasure, and own a host of them. But there is still something about having a "real" Gibson that makes some premium -- in some cases a large premium -- worthwhile.

It is not snobbiness for others. I never play in public any longer. And even my FB and YouTube videos are equally divided as to which I am playing. But nonetheless there is perceived value to me. Pleasure.

Logic? That has little do do with it! :D

-don

dbrian66 and theflow like this.
  8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    Whew! Glad you talked me out of it. I hadn't noticed that mismatch since I was on my phone when I posted it (suffering through grocery shopping with my wife).

I've already got 3 single P90 guitars. Of course, I don't need another one.

dbrian66 and duceditor like this.
  9. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    More like a Melody Maker imo,but still o.k. .:)

dbrian66 likes this.
  10. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I thought the red one at the top was interesting. Then I saw the blue one, and started wondering what I have, that I could trade for one... Now I need to figure out who near me sells these, so I can go get one!

dbrian66 likes this.
  11. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    Give it a few months,after the initial purchase Rush is over.These will start popping up used for 5 or 6 hundred.

dbrian66 and Taurus like this.
  12. Hoss

Hoss Squier-holic

Dec 20, 2009
    McGill, Nevada
    I've been eyeing this one BIG time. It's sentimental for me. My mom bought a totally butchered 1960 LP Junior DC, cherry like Don posted, for like $25 at a rummage sale back in 61 or 62. Eventually that one ended up as mine when mom passed. It was so butchered that I couldn't fix it properly and sold it. I wish this one had a dog ear and the proper routing/pickguard etc., but it's close enough to get my attention. I've got one in my cart at MF and am going to buy it when I sell my yellow Tele.

dbrian66 likes this.
  13. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Meister

Sep 8, 2018
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    I don’t think I’d be interested in the Junior myself, not a fan of the design or just the single pickup. But I am interested in the LP Faded 2018 Gibson, sell for about £600 here now. I don’t think I could justify paying more for a Gibson at my level. It may not look pretty but would do the job for me :) but still unsure if I should go for a Strat, A mustang or a tele instead lol. I have GAS but I don’t want to have tons of guitars :D:D

dbrian66 likes this.
  14. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    I've seen four colors so far. Worn Cherry, Worn Brown, Blue Satin and Worn Ebony.
    I love the shape and simplicity of the wrap around bridge with a single P90 and even though I'd rather have more wood showing and less pickguard.... I'm intrigued. :)

Colors 001e.jpg

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    dbrian66 likes this.