2001 Standard Squier Strat PICKUP QUESTION

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by mq222, May 24, 2013.

1. mq222

mq222 Squier Talker

Hello,
    I am a new member wanting help identifying what the pickups or specs about this guitar are. I bought it from a store in WV and it turned out to be a guitar of a friend of mine:rolleyes:. I was mainly wondering if in 2001, were the pickups whit(er) than the pickguard? This is a chinese standard lefty from 2001.

Here is a close up of the guitar's pick guard

and here is the serial number

and finally a shot of the neck and full guitar

Thanks everyone!

P.S. I hope to upgrade this bad boy!

-MQ:D

2. bluestringer

bluestringer Squier-Meister

The Standard comes stock with Alnico 5 pickups, same as the CV60. But they could have been changed out or the covers replaced. On my 2005 the covers are a off white, almost a vintage look, but I bought it used and have not looked under the hood, so they could have been changed out also. But if they are Alnico 5's, they sound really good.

3. mq222

mq222 Squier Talker

How can you tell if they are alnico 5's ?

4. bluestringer

Alnico is the type of magnet used. It's either alnico or ceramic. I think the ceramic bar is a darker color than the alnico. I think some brands of pickups like Seymour Duncan puts their name on them. Have you played it? How does it sound?

5. stratphobic

stratphobic Squier-holic

If they're alnico, the pole pieces themselves will be the magnets and if they're ceramic, the magnet(s) will be glued to the bottom of the pickup

6. Jim Baritone

Jim Baritone Squier-holic

Well, since someone's put pink knobs on the tone pots, it's quite possible that they ordered a new set of pickup covers, which are just a few dollars. Some of the plastics used in China 10-15 years ago were a bit "uneven" in terms of quality control, and did not "age" well with respect to colour. What may have happened is that they discoloured to a yellow-y sort of tint, or they discoloured unevenly. Either way, it would detract from the appearance.

It's also possible that the pickups themselves were changed, but swapping out pickup covers (and colours) is a cheap and fairly frequent mod. For instance, I took my black Squier Strat SE, which was a "Penguin" - white pickguard, knobs, and pickup covers, and black body finish. I spent a whole $4.50 to buy a set of black p/u covers, control knobs, etc. It makes an interesting difference in the look. I may get a black pickguard and make it all black, or I might just get ornery and respray the body to Fiesta Red.

Jim B

7. bonefamily

bonefamily Squier-Meister

My 2007 Standard came with aged color pickup covers and volume/tone controls. I thought mine was from sitting in the music shop all these years as I have just purchased it a couple weeks ago and the owner had it marked down because it was there for so long - new since '07. Yours shows the opposite. Maybe Squier used aged color plastic for these and varied from pickguard to covers? Seeing how yours is used, as mentioned by others it could have been changed. Did you ask your friend, the original owner, if he changed anything when he had it?

Nonetheless, I am finding that the pups on these are not too bad at all. IMO, better than the ceramic Standard Mexican Fenders.

8. zag1

zag1 Squier-Meister

As pickup covers go, I believe there's like four choices (color-wise) to choose from. Black, White, Vintage cream (off white) and Parchment (slight greenish hue). Same goes for knobs, back plate, tremolo arm tip and switch tip. Squier was known to use ceramic bar magnets with steel slugs on some of their pickups. They did sound pretty decent. You gotta get in there to find out what you got though.

9. mq222

mq222 Squier Talker

Thanks everyone for the input, I will get in there come early june, I can't have the guitar until finals are done (parents rule) :( , but I will post again with an update of what is in there come june.

-MQ

10. mq222

mq222 Squier Talker

I recently figured out that it has a 2-pin bridge, is that out of the ordinary ? The tuner heads are chrome standard and the pick guard has 8 holes, not 11 (today's standard)...

Anyone have any inferences ??

-Thanks
    MQ

11. bluestringer

My 2005 model has the 2 pin bridge. That is the standard now, same as the American Standard, only I think the string spacing is different on it. The 6 screw bridge is known as the vintage. Mine has an 11 hole pickguard. I'm not sure if all year models have the 11 hole or if they changed them.

12. mq222

mq222 Squier Talker

What are "year models" ?

13. bluestringer

I was referring to the year of manufacture. Not sure if they had 11 hole guard from the start or not.