2001 Affinity Tele

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by txflood, Aug 9, 2019.

1. txflood

txflood Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    North Carolina
    I picked up this 2001 Tele with the 20th Anniversary plate the other day. I was reading here about early Affinity models and it looks like this was the year they transitioned to better sealed tuners.

http://www.squierwiki.com/Affinity-and-Standard-Telecaster-History

I've started cleaning it up and getting it into proper playing shape. I thought I would post some "under the hood" pics. No hidden humbucker routes under this pickguard!

I was surprised when I took a look under the control plate to find 2 capacitors. It has a treble bleed cap in addition to the standard cap on the tone pot. The solder joints all looked original so I'm guessing it was shipped this way.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

The routes are nice and tight - somebody took pride in this one - A random treble bleed from the factory ? It's the little things in life ! ! A Hearty Congrats ! !

full size pots and a common ground on pots and switch ? :D:D:D

3. John Slinger

John Slinger Squier-Meister

Apr 26, 2019
    Greenville
    Nice ! And thanks for that link to the Squier Wiki article. I never read that one.

4. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Congrats & HNGD !

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  5. txflood

txflood Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    North Carolina
    I found the neck pickup cover isn't grounded as it should be on a 3 switch tele. I pulled the pickup out and added a small jumper wire between the black ground lead and one of the cover legs that protrudes through the bobbin. After tacking the wire in place, I was able to get the cover grounded now.[​IMG][​IMG]

6. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    Thanks...

7. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Squier-Nut

I have often found treble bleed capacitors on Affinity Teles, it seems to be a feature of them. I think the treble bleed is a stock wiring thing.

8. txflood

txflood Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    North Carolina
    Thanks for confirming the treble bleed. What's interesting is that I found this Affinity tele service manual that was revised years after this guitar was built that only shows a single tone cap:

https://c3.zzounds.com/media/AffinityTele-Service-b75c06eeb7d4e86258f6b8dde142420c.pdf

I do see the 2 caps in this control plate assembly that sold on Reverb in the second picture but no dates.

https://reverb.com/item/12966653-sq...caster-guitar-prewired-control-plate-assembly

Maybe they changed the circuit after 2008?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  9. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    I had one that was butterscotch and a top loader cool tele enjoy and don't sell like i did.

10. txflood

txflood Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    North Carolina
    I've got the neck cleaned up now and polished. Seems to be no fret wear at all.

Can you tell how far I had worked my way down in these photos?[​IMG][​IMG]

11. txflood

txflood Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    North Carolina
    I pulled the neck and it had a date of December 8, 2001. Totally makes sense that this tele would get the 20th anniversary plate being shipped on the eve of 2002.

There were also markings on the end of the neck, but I couldn't make it out. You can clearly see the maple fingerboard cap.

There were also these yellow plastic shim pieces in the pocket. I left them and put it back together.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Kenneth Mountain and SquierTap like this.
  12. txflood

txflood Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    North Carolina
    I've got it all put back together and cleaned up now. I touched up a few small chips along the edges with black nail polish from the dollar store.

I was in my local GC the other day and they had a brand new Affinity Tele in stock so I tried it out. I much prefer the neck on this older model. The new one had a neck that felt like I was playing bare wood. I'm pretty sure I've seen others on this forum mention this with some modern Squier models.

[​IMG]

Rat cam 68, -r3- and Viking like this.
  13. Gip111

Gip111 Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    nj
    I had a 2016 that also had the treble bleed.

txflood likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice