1999 Stagemaster SSS Fender Noiseless

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by aoresteen, Jan 11, 2019.

1. aoresteen

aoresteen Squier-Nut

Oct 31, 2011
    Newnan, GA
    I finally finished this black 1999 Stagemaster HSH with a set of Fender noiseless single coils, converting it to SSS. I had bought it off of eBay back in August of 2018 and of course I had to mod it a bit :)

[​IMG]

The Stagemasters never came with three single coil pickups. Since the '99 came with a pick guard it's the easiest one to set up with three single coils. I added Schaller strap locks, a 37mm brass trem block, and converted the trem arm to a genuine Floyd Rose push-in arm. It's the best arm I have used so over the next year I will be upgrading my Stagemasters to FR push-in arms. The FR arm just screws in - very easy.

[​IMG]

In November of 2012 I had bought a 1994ish Epiphone 310 Custom strat copy because it had a set of Fender noiseless pickups on it.

[​IMG]

I never did anything with it so last year I decided to sell it. Looking at it I notice that the pick guard wasn't correct. I pulled the pick guard and discovered a mess underneath so I couldn't sell it. I pulled the pickups and put them in my parts bin. I put the Epi 310 aside for another project. When I snagged this black '99 I knew that I would use the Fender noiseless pickups in it.

I had Pick Guardian make a new SSS pick guard and rear trem cover for it.

[​IMG]

New 250k pots & a .033 cap were installed and I did the Gilmour mod so I can have the neck & bridge pickups on at the same time (a tone push pull switch turns on the neck pickup).

Note the painted headstock. When the '99 Stagemaster was released the headstocks were natural wood. toward the end of the 99 production run Squier started to paint the headstocks the same as the body color. The 2000 Stagemasters followed this and all have matching painted headstocks.

[​IMG]

This a very nice playing Stagemaster and it is dead quite. It's become one of my favorite Stagemasters.

2. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    Very nice! The pups, they're Vintage Noiseless or Hot Noiseless? I have a set of HN on one of my Strat and I like them.

3. aoresteen

aoresteen Squier-Nut

Oct 31, 2011
    Newnan, GA
    I'm not sure of the difference. I might have a photo of the numbers on the back - can't remember what they are.

EDIT: Found a front pic:

[​IMG]

I don't have a photo of the rear.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Jim Belaye likes this.
  4. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    The important thing is that you like them, VN or HN.

wonkenstein likes this.
  5. aoresteen

aoresteen Squier-Nut

Oct 31, 2011
    Newnan, GA
    So true! I do like them. Next time I change strings on them I'll pop the pick guard off and take a look at the numbers.

Jim Belaye likes this.
  6. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Super nice axe..... Fender's noiseless humbuckers are definitely dead quiet..... how do you like the response with them in that guitar? Just curious as I've got a set of Fender Tele noiseless pickups in one of mine.

7. Nibi85

Nibi85 Squier Talker

Jan 13, 2019
    Nederlandse
    Nice guitar, looks like n4 pickups

8. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    That is the main thing for sure!

Jim Belaye likes this.
  9. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    "pick guardian" is that a website or person? I need a new stagemaster pickguard, I looked around and couldn't find one. They're shaped a little different than a regular strat, and I'd love one in pearloid. I found a few but I like the original ones rounded corners in the humbucker cutouts.

10. aoresteen

aoresteen Squier-Nut

Oct 31, 2011
    Newnan, GA
    https://www.pickguardian.com/

Tony Dudzik, the owner, is a great guy. He's made a number of '99 Stagemaster pick guards for me. Right now he's making a new pick guard for a Peavey Rockmaster for me. Highly recommended.

There are variations in the '99 Stagemaster pick guards. I always send him the original one to copy.

cool gouhl likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice