12 string

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Eddie, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I picked up a cheapo Rogue 12 string recently with the 20% discount from WWBW. @rocknrguitars gave me a few suggestions to help "bump it up".

This is what he told me to do:

How is the action on it. In my experience with the 12's was the strings were high but easily corrected. Put a capo on the first fret. Measure the gap between the bottom of the low E at the top of the 8th Fret while depressing the low E with your right hand where the neck leaves the body. In you left hand you can use a feeler gage. Should be between 8 and 12/1000. You can slowly tighten the truss rod to lower the strings to 10/1000. Give it a try and raise or lower until you like the action and are not getting a buzz. Easy... lol

A minor tweak, and it's playing really nice now. Actually, it's my preferred instrument at the moment. There's something nice about the ringing tone and wide neck of a 12 string. I also thinks it improves my playing on a 6 string.

Basically, I don't have much time to play ... but 30 minutes before bed, I grab the guitar and run some paces. The 12 string is really a lot of fun.

If any of you guys don't have one ... think about snagging a 12 banger for the holidays. I really, really like it. :)

jefffam, Taurus, snivlem and 9 others like this.
  2. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    Congrats ! I picked up a really nice Washburn 12 recently ,it's an all ash body really unique.
    Rock on !:)

jefffam, Eddie and VealCutlet like this.
  3. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    Sweet congrats. I just donated my Washburn 12 string the other day to a family much in need.. Great feeling.

4. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-Nut

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    I love the sound and feel of a 12 string.
    But as I said before, I really hate changing the strings. ENJOY!

jefffam and Eddie like this.
  5. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Nut

Feb 4, 2016
    I'm glad that you are enjoying it! I bought a used Art & Lutherie 12-string a couple of years ago, and play it at gigs for several songs.

6. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    I had an older Martin Sigma (made in Korea) for years, bought it in the early 80's. A couple years ago I bought a Yamaha FG820-12 and gave the old one to an old buddy.

Have to have an acoustic 12 string around. BTW, the Yamaha sounds great!

7. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I can imagine. I'm gonna have to devote an entire afternoon to it. ha ha.

Even tuning is a pain. But it's so fun to play once it's set up right. :)

jefffam and ScoobySnacker like this.
  8. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I have a nice Alvarez 12 string that I bought from a young kid on Offerup for $20.

9. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Nut

Feb 4, 2016
    Eddie, how did you get 20 per cent off? They are offering 10 per cent off today.

I'm tempted, how well do you like it? Any serious problems with it?

10. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I think it was about 2 weeks ago. 20% black Friday. I couldn't resist. Came out to be $80.

It needs a tiny bit of tweeking, but it's a great value. Even with only 10%, it's $90. Great value. I really enjoy playing it.

11. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Nut

Feb 4, 2016
    Thank you, Eddie! I just ordered one for $89.99 from MF on a price match with WWBW. Plus I get 8% Backstage Pass points, so it's not a bad deal. I really don't need another 12-string, but I'm a sucker for a deal when it comes to guitars. Here's hoping that it arrives in one piece and doesn't have a bad neck or any major issues.

12. Guitar Cat

Guitar Cat Squier Talker

Jul 29, 2018
    Spring Lake Hts, NJ
    Congrats on your new 12 string! I'm fortunate to have a 1970 Martin 12 which I bought off a friend in '72. Still have it, still love it - still has a straight neck!!!!

13. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Nut

Feb 4, 2016
    "Snivlem" posted that eBay is offering 15% off today. Yesterday I purchased a Rogue 12-string from MF, and today I noticed that they have the same guitar listed on eBay. So I called MF and got the price adjusted to $85. Thanks to both Snivlem and Eddie!

14. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    That's a sweet deal. Totally worth it. I can't get a used 12 string for under $100. So I'm enjoying the Rogue. :)

jefffam, dbrian66 and johnnywizzo like this.
  15. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I recently picked up a nice 12 string at GC .

Then I thought to myself , "what are you doing with a freakin 12 string guitar ? You can barely play six !" ... So I set it down before anyone seen me ,then sneaked away quietly :eek:o_O:confused:;):eek:

jefffam, dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  16. Big-Tele

Big-Tele Squier Talker

Sep 15, 2015
    Melbourne Australia
    Anything that makes you want to play can't be all bad. I have a 12 string tele copy, don't play it often but love the sound.
    I plan to work on some old Beatles and Stones songs that have that 12 string sound.

17. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    That's what I said also, but think about snagging a cheapo 12 banger. It's great to have in the collection.

18. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Nut

Feb 4, 2016
    I have a Cozart 12-string tele copy that I use on a few songs. I really enjoy it.

jefffam, dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  19. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Nut

Feb 4, 2016
    The BBT delivered my Rogue 12-string today. The box was not molested in shipping, but I was afraid to open it and see what I got for $85. The first thing that I noticed was semi-sharp fret ends. No big deal, I can remedy that. The next thing that I noticed was an ugly guitar. Not a real looker, with the shiny black finish and odd-colored top. However, I could not find so much as a flaw in the fit or finish, and the neck has a great feel to it, rather beefy and comfortable. Next, to see if the truss rod functions. After a minor bit of gentle persuasion, it began to move freely (it was too tight). It will need some more tweaking once I decide which strings to use, and the action is slightly too high, but that can also be addressed. I usually replace the strings as soon as I get a new guitar, but I thought I'd give the originals a spin.

On to the playability and the tone. This is a very comfortable guitar to play, much easier than my Art & Lutherie 12-string. And the sound is pretty nice. It has a chimey ring as one would expect, but not a tremendous amount of volume. At least not with the factory strings. I really like this guitar, and so far I much prefer it to my Art & Lutherie, both for comfort and sound. I will post some photos soon. This is indeed a smoking deal that I would not expect from the brand.

jefffam, Pat V. and Eddie like this.
  20. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

I agree with everything said above. Same with me. But minor considerations ... and minor tweaks, it's a decent player for $85. I love the beefy neck. I can't get a good pre-owned 12 string for this price. I really like it. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice