Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum

Go Back   Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Tech-Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Tech-Talk Mods, improvements, repairs keep it technical here

Old 05-14-2012, 07:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Default When, where and why...neck shim??

I'd probably be better off giving up on this specific mystery neck I bought off CL as part of a failed partscaster build.....anyway...

No photos - but in order to get a decent, playabale string height, I've had to raise the saddles on this strat quite a bit - not all the way, but there's only a few turns probably left before they'll be raised as much as possible.

Go ahead and suggest nut height and neck relief - maybe that's the issue, but I don't thiink so - I've checked and adjusted both to where they look right.

Could it be the neck angle?
Would a shim at the headstock end of the neck pocket potentially be something worth trying?

I've avoided shims up to now - having read they can mess with energy transfer between the neck and body?
Is that true, or another one of those things that seem plausible, but you can't really hear?

hudsonnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Squier-holic

I think that's where you'd put a shim for what you want to do. I wouldn't worry about the sound transfer.

Quote:
I think you are hearing with your eyes. They don't look right, so they dont sound right.
fenderfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Squier-Nut

thin wood shim will do it, wont need much and use wood, not plastic or paper. As FF says don't worry about any loss in transfer as if that was that big of a deal, fender would not put micro tilt's on their high end products.

Make sure the shim fills the whole pocket and tapers from high to low, not just a small chunk under the heel to raise it.. hard to explain but should go from thick to thin and fill the whole pocket.

Last edited by shrekfingers; 05-14-2012 at 07:51 AM..
shrekfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old 05-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Thanks - not too hard to understand your description - any suggestions where to get a shim like that?
I know Home depot sells shims (tapered like you suggest) - I'm not sure that they're as wide as the neck poclet though - and maybe too thick too?

I bet I could make some with some patience and my table saW.....
Old 05-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Squier-Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudsonnh View Post
Thanks - not too hard to understand your description - any suggestions where to get a shim like that?
I know Home depot sells shims (tapered like you suggest) - I'm not sure that they're as wide as the neck poclet though - and maybe too thick too?

I bet I could make some with some patience and my table saW.....
you could probably use two of the HW shims from Home depot and cut them to fit the pocket side by side and sand them on a flat surface on the flat side of the shim to thickness.
Some people use credit cards, business cards, sandpaper or even the paper bags the strings come in. All will work but I am anal I guess, I like to do it right (in my own mind anyways) and use wood.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

I will try to find the link but on youtube I have a video marked that tells you how to make a shim out of masking tape you build successive layers until you get it where you think it'll work ( old school ) masking tape is paper which is wood and cheap..

-Allen

easy to change and remove as well

Last edited by azscr4mbl3r; 05-14-2012 at 09:45 AM..
azscr4mbl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Squier-holic

You can use cardboard, a piece of a business card, etc, and if you need more just double it. I used to only adjust the neck pocket by sanding, carving , etc, but I had an epiphany and use shims quite a bit to primarily raise or lower the saddle settings, or if it is so far off to get the saddles to a level to even use them.

I do not believe sound transference through the neck and body is even an issue with an electric. An objective blind test would prove that if you want to mess with it. Nut and bridge saddle materials are more likely to affect tone than anything other than the pups, amp and effects.

Sorry, I'd have written something shorter but I didn't have the time.
czook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Squier-holic

thanks everyone - looks like I've got support for the notion that neck tilt is probably something I can use to address the saddle height screws.

Now I just have to fiuge if I want to be as anal as Shrek!
Old 05-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Squier-Nut

If you have to raise the saddles almost all the way to get any string height then would'nt you want to lower the neck into the guitar pocket or take some off the neck heel?
Unless I'm understanding you wrong?
Hotrodleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Old 05-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Squier-holic

In my case, it's "low" action, so I'm thinking about a shim at the nut end of the pocket....
Old 05-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Squier-Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudsonnh View Post
In my case, it's "low" action, so I'm thinking about a shim at the nut end of the pocket....
That is correct:

Fender uses thin wood or fiber shims and I have even seen folded sandpaper used by the factory on Squiers:

Zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Squier-holic

I think I would use some type of sander not a table saw. It would be pretty tough to cut a shim that thin.....jmho though
lilblackduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Nearly impossible with a table saw, now that I have thought about how thin a shim needs to be.

I'm dealing with a junk neck here - so I'll try sandpaper or business cards for now, until I get around to putting on a better neck...