Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum

Go Back   Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum > Squier Discussion Forums > Squier Vintage Modified models
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Squier Vintage Modified models Discuss all the various Vintage Modified Squier models here -- regardless of the other categories they might fall into as well.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Squier-Nut

Default GraphTech Jaguar/JM/Mustang bridge saddles

I just ordered these bridge saddles for my VM Jaguar. $33.00 through Amazon. I'm hoping they sound good as they seem like the perfect solution to Leo's screwed up bridge saddle design.
Attached Thumbnails
GraphTech Jaguar/JM/Mustang bridge saddles-graphtech-bridge-saddles-jpg  

Bear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

I know a lot of people just replace those entire bridges with mustang ones...they look similar to those. Honestly thats what kept me from liking the VM JM, I pick hard and the strings kept moving off the saddles.
TeeZeeMee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Squier-Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeZeeMee View Post
I know a lot of people just replace those entire bridges with mustang ones...they look similar to those. Honestly thats what kept me from liking the VM JM, I pick hard and the strings kept moving off the saddles.
The problem with the Mustang bridge is radius nonconformity. A Mustang has a 7.25" fretboard radius whereas the VM Jaguars and Jazzmasters have a 9.5" fretboard radius. so unless you prefer a higher action, the "D" and "G" strings will be riding much closer to the frets than the "E" strings creating a fret buzz with a low action setting.

Warmoth sells a modified Mustang bridge with height adjustable steel saddles but it costs $48.00 and I really don't need another bridge base in my spare parts box. Also the GraphTech saddles are impregnated with Teflon which should improve tuning stability with vibrato use even though the nut is usually the biggest source of tuning instability, not the bridge.

GraphTech also states that I should see a 15% improvement in sustain over steel saddles.

I'll post a complete review once I've used them for a bit and can report accurately.
Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old 11-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dr. Squier

angela.com also sells the VM mustang bridge. FWIW, I found these on MF the other day and have been very curious! Cannot wait to hear your thoughts on them, as that will possible be one of the things I do to mine.

I will say this though, with 11's and a proper setup, I have no issues with string movement on my VMJM. I would kind of like to use 9's though if I can.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Squier-Nut

I have arthritis in my hands plus Parkinson's so the lighter the action and smaller the string gauge, the easier it is for me to play for extended periods. Fortunately, my Parkinson's is not advancing rapidly so the medication keeps it pretty much under control.

Out of curiosity, I'll check out that VM Mustang bridge at Angela's. Thanks for the heads up.

It looks good! I may get one of these also and do a comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
GraphTech Jaguar/JM/Mustang bridge saddles-importmustangbridge-jpg  

Last edited by Bear; 11-08-2013 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: Added picture and more text.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dr. Squier

http://angela.com/fenderimportmustan...andwrench.aspx

Well, looks like you got it!!! Awesome!!!

I put one on my VM jaguar and it worked like a CHAMP!!!!
Old 11-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Squier-Nut

Thanks, for adding the link. I should have, D'Oh!
Old 11-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dr. Squier

It;s okay. I should have to begin with instead of just saying where to go.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

Bear, I've been perusing a bunch of the Jag threads, racking & stacking stuff for when I get mine.

Is there a thread sir where you mentioned how the graphtech saddles worked out?
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Squier Talker

I bought the Graph Tech saddles for my new Jag, and they are working well. The only thing I noticed was that the some of the screws seemed inconsistent from one another when trying to tighten or adjust them, so I wrapped all the screws with teflon tape.
These pics were taken before I added the tape.
Attached Thumbnails
GraphTech Jaguar/JM/Mustang bridge saddles-sq-jag1-jpg   GraphTech Jaguar/JM/Mustang bridge saddles-sq-jag2-jpg  

yz250f49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by yz250f49 View Post
I bought the Graph Tech saddles for my new Jag, and they are working well.
Thanks for that feedback & pics. Just waiting for the new year (literally) to go snag a Jag. Any quirks are too easily fixed not to have this as my other guitar. Do something to get the angle better (bridge or saddle change), heavier strings and a slight shim or not. I can't wait. (But I guess I'll have to)
Old 12-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Squier-Nut

I'm sorry, I was lax in giving a review of the GraphTech Jaguar saddles. I like the principal behind them but had the screw inconsistency issue that yz250f49 had and remedied it the same way with Teflon tape. The thing I don't like about them is the way the kind of suck the sparkle out of the Jag pickups. I really like the bright sound of a Jag and the GraphTechs are not for me.

I ended up using the Angela Music Mustang bridge with the height adjustable steel saddles. I really like those a lot

Amazon was great and let me return the GraphTechs for a full refund because of the screw issue.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Squier-Nut

side-note

thanks for the teflon tape comments. one of my saddles threads was giving out right at intonation point. I bit of teflon tape and it's holding until I can replace it.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
I ended up using the Angela Music Mustang bridge with the height adjustable steel saddles. I really like those a lot
Hey, no problem sir, thanks for the feedback. The Mustang solution is my first choice. One of the nice things about (probably) getting my Jag from my local shop is:
  • pickout guitar (color immaterial).
  • grab set of .011's
  • hand to repair guy
    & say "go to your drawer, pull out Mustang bridge set from your auth Fender parts bin, make all this come together, shim with Dave's biz card if necessary.
  • I'll be back after I grab a big cup of coffee.
Then I can walk out with a playing guitar. I also agree that the brightness shouldn't have to be sacrificed - one of the things that makes that guitar what it is, and the others not.

Thanks again & Merry Christmas to you & yours.

(LOL, Angela's is currently out of stock, but it is a standard Fender PN - must be alot of folks teaking their Jags)
Old 12-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
Hey, no problem sir, thanks for the feedback. The Mustang solution is my first choice...
(LOL, Angela's is currently out of stock, but it is a standard Fender PN - must be alot of folks teaking their Jags)
Darren Riley has the same Fender PN 81239001 listed a bit differently, but I'm going to get one and go shopping for a Jag when I pickup the strat this afternoon. (Yes, buying replacement bridge before guitar but it's a quest...) I don't know if I can walk in with no guitar & walk out with 2 but, hey, always be open to karma.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #16 (permalink)
Squier-holic

my fix was a bit different on my jag.

I fixed the buzz by placing clear nail polish on the screws. This keeps the saddles from
moving around. I also ensured that the saddles are parallel to the body completely, as well as the bridge itself since it's a floating one.

Then I put 11 flatwounds on it...once they were there, the bridge and saddles never have an issue. My 10's used to pop off of the saddles all the time, but my 11's don't.

I don't know if it's cause they are heavier or becasue they are flatwound. Either way, it works like a charm.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #17 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by horax View Post
Then I put 11 flatwounds on it...once they were there, the bridge and saddles never have an issue. My 10's used to pop off of the saddles all the time, but my 11's don't.

I don't know if it's cause they are heavier or becasue they are flatwound. Either way, it works like a charm.
Yep, I've heard that & seems to apply flat-wound or not. The thing just runs better (i.e., properly) with heavier strings. Also understand the clear need to have the saddles (and screws) parallel and not having slop between them & their bearing surface even on a Mustang bridge. Proper setup from the get-go is gonna help all things.

I've been kinda thinking about a color other than CAR as an excuse to shoot the thing SFG but have much holiday spirit and, frankly, have never had a red guitar... yet. ho ho

Thanks to all the Jag addicts who've thus far shared their knowledge.

Edit: Uh oh, this is a good omen - the FRV-1 I won on ebay just arrived.
Maybe Surf Green with a tort pickguard....

Last edited by Badger52; 12-26-2013 at 01:08 PM..
Old 12-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by horax View Post
Then I put 11 flatwounds on it...
BTW, I do recall your welcome advice about the brand and thank you, so I should be able to snag something off the wall later today.

OK, outta here; departing for the guitar dopehouse. Guy there who's in a recording band & playing Jags for quite awhile has two colors I'm interested in, one surf, one CAR. I told him to just pick me the best necks & we'll see what he comes up with when I walk through the door. Hate going to town but they treat you great whether you're buying a Squier or a 4-figure real NoCaster.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:51 AM   #19 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

Now I can finally get done hijacking Bear's thread, with thanks to all.
The '56 Caddy came home today with a CAR hot-rod, so to speak. Couple of very minor finish issues but nothing I care about; slightly imperfect pickguard contour around the neck area and couple of screws were very slightly canted. I care not, I asked my guy to find the best neck of the bunch and he sure did.

I'll have to order the flat-wounds that I really want to try, but tossed the repair kid a set of .011's and he set it up, got the nut right, etc. Nice action, he got the saddles parallel in proper respects and there is not too much of an issue with anything except the 2-legged nut holding the pick. Mustang bridge is already on the way and I will still put that on. .011's just feel right on this shorter-scale.

Uff-da (Nortlander technical term) is this thing ever bright and I love it because the new pickups in the Strat have a variety of tones including warm ones. That Strat came home a much more versatile guitar (thanks mrlinguini for the set of Duncan Alnico II Pro's). Clarity reigns. So the Jag is really just alot of fun and makes me wanna add surfcamp in Costa Rica to the bucket list.

It's running good enough right now that all I really want to do is go find that thread where people complained about the twang bar just hanging loose. I like 'em that way 'cause when I drop it away from my ring or pinky finger I want it to really go away and end up just hanging there. So I'll see if I can create that 'malady' on purpose.

These are actually pretty darned good pickups; took a couple of hours getting what I wanted to find and how to get it on demand but go there & tomorrow's another day. I am a happy camper & did not spend $2K for a different decal. Thanks all for indulging.

And for those who like to type "pics or it didn't happen" here ya go.
UPDATE: She never stayed. The Strat ended up being too versatile after the Duncan install and the Jag was too much bright; swapped next day for a JM. But it was a great 1-night stand. That guitar played great and, if you have a guitar stuck in the mud and need a bright guitar on tap, the Jag is THE tool to grab. I'll miss 'er but the JM I got is a keeper.
Attached Thumbnails
GraphTech Jaguar/JM/Mustang bridge saddles-56caddy_whotrod-jpg  

Last edited by Badger52; 12-27-2013 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: Update: swapped guitars
Old 04-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
Squier Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
I just ordered these bridge saddles for my VM Jaguar. $33.00 through Amazon. I'm hoping they sound good as they seem like the perfect solution to Leo's screwed up bridge saddle design.
I'm looking at these for my Cabronita with Bigsby. I'm just now researching these, hope they work!
telemaster61 is offline   Reply With Quote