Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum

Go Back   Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum > Squier Discussion Forums > Squier Telecasters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Squier Telecasters Standard, Affinity, Classic Vibe, Artist, Obey, ProTone, & Mini all discussed here.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:50 AM   #21 (permalink)
Squier Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyGibson View Post
I think we're a little late to the party guys; this thread is 4 months old !
Always a party pooper!!
Caddy made a very valid point and no matter how old or late,... it's wisdom that never ages or is ever too late...besides the Strat to Tele statement is outstanding!!!

Last edited by Nelson DeJesus; 12-23-2011 at 01:54 AM.. Reason: Strength in numbers...
Nelson DeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:35 AM   #22 (permalink)
Squier Talker

Forgive my ignorance I'm new to this forum.
For clarifacation.
Does MIM= Made in Mexico
&
CVs = Chinese versions?
Thanks
all the best.
Kit108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:38 AM   #23 (permalink)
Squier-holic

MIM is a made in Mexico Fender.
CV is a Squier Classic Vibe. (Great guitars)
Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old 12-23-2011, 07:20 AM   #24 (permalink)
Squier Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyGibson View Post
I think we're a little late to the party guys; this thread is 4 months old !
May be an older thread, but I'm new here... and by reviving the discussion I noticed the thread at the top of the board, read thru it, and gained some valuable insight.

Good threads never die... they just keep us newcomers informed.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:27 AM   #25 (permalink)
Squier Talker

Default RE:MIM & CVs acronyms

Thank you for your prop reply.

So based on the info given
MIM = Made in Mexico Fenders not necessarily fender Squires
MIJ = Fenders made in Japan does this include squires as well
What about MII, can I assume Indonesia as MIC would be for China Reference?

Sorry but I’m just trying to get a better understanding of what is being discussed.

Also can I assume the Squire Classic vibe is closer to an American fender than other squires or is it unique in itself? I don't know alot about the squire range of guitars and I'm intrest in finding out more.

I own a what I assume is a 2010 affinity navy blue body squire strat I purchased a few days ago in a 2nd hand shop. serial CY108XXXXX, written above (Crafted in China).

I saw it picked it up and just loved the feel of it.
I was quite impressed with the workmanship for what is considered a cheaper line of guitars.

The only fault I have found since is having the bridge in a floating position (a nightmare keeping it in tune).

I used to own a 1980s (The Strat) model which I sold in 1986 and have regretted selling ever since.

I have and still own since 1979 a 1976/77 US Telecaster Custom with the 3 screw tilt adjust neck plate and bullet head trust rod in the neck! fender humbucker (neck) and Single pole (Bridge) std sunburst body.

Also a 1978 tobacco sunburst Les Paul (weights a 1/2 a ton) after a few hours of playing.
Both of course totally different guitars to the squire strat.

Sound wise the Squire is actually not bad sounding.
I was pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for any imformation your able to supply.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:35 AM   #26 (permalink)
Squier Talker

Default RE:MIM & CVs acronyms

Thank you for your prop reply.

So based on the info given
MIM = Made in Mexico Fenders not necessarily fender Squires
MIJ = Fenders made in Japan does this include squires as well
What about MII, can I assume Indonesia as MIC would be for China Reference?

Sorry but I’m just trying to get a better understanding of what is being discussed.

Also can I assume the Squire Classic vibe is closer to an American fender than other squires or is it unique in itself? I don't know alot about the squire range of guitars and I'm intrest in finding out more.

I own a what I assume is a 2010 affinity navy blue body squire strat I purchased a few days ago in a 2nd hand shop. serial CY108XXXXX, written above (Crafted in China).

I saw it picked it up and just loved the feel of it.
I was quite impressed with the workmanship for what is considered a cheaper line of guitars.

The only fault I have found since is having the bridge in a floating position (a nightmare keeping it in tune).

I used to own a 1980s (The Strat) model which I sold in 1986 and have regretted selling ever since.

I have and still own since 1979 a 1976/77 US Telecaster Custom with the 3 screw tilt adjust neck plate and bullet head trust rod in the neck! fender humbucker (neck) and Single pole (Bridge) std sunburst body.

Also a 1978 tobacco sunburst Les Paul (weights a 1/2 a ton) after a few hours of playing.
Both of course totally different guitars to the squire strat.

Sound wise the Squire is actually not bad sounding.
I was pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for any imformation your able to supply.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:32 AM   #27 (permalink)
Dr. Squier

I have a MIM('97 Black Label), a MIJ Squier(E-serial'87), and a ProTone(Korean'96), and a Classic Vibe Strat('11) ... I would say that just as far as feel goes, the MIJ Squier is as close to a USA guitar of the bunch, I'm not including electronic specs. Just my opinion.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #28 (permalink)
Squier Talker

Fender Nashville Deluxe:
You'd be getting a far better guitar than the Standard or ANY Squier...
Having upgraded hardware, better electronics & better woods (Ash bordy Maple neck). Lastly the pick ups, will be better than a Standard & the Nashville Deluxe has a TexMex in the mid position giving a 5 position switch option with Strat tones.
Attached Thumbnails
Squier Tele vs Mexican Fender Tele?-deluxe_nashville_telecaster_maple_fretboard_honey_blonde_mz9526945_a-jpg   Squier Tele vs Mexican Fender Tele?-fender-deluxe-nashville-telecaster-brown-sunburst-rosewood-jpg  

Squier Tele vs Mexican Fender Tele?-01a_before-jpg  
eric93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #29 (permalink)
Squier-holic

My dad has an 06 Nashville in Blonde, I really like it. Great Tele. Got it new for $350 back in 07 with a case.

Quote:
I think you are hearing with your eyes. They don't look right, so they dont sound right.
fenderfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

Just a follow up on the original question posed by the OP.

There are older MIM models which I would say are of similar quality and specs to the Squier CV's. The 90's models (mine is a LPB 95 Standard) have Alnico V pickups stock which are more similar to the original Tele sound. The ceramic pickups in the current models are a hotter pickup and provide a more modern sound.

The necks are one piece maple and they were all done in the US plant in Corona, CA as someone had suggested in a previous post. Those necks have vintage frets instead of medium jumbos and are interchangeable with CV necks. They also have a shallow "C" profile similar to the CVC necks. The mid 90's models are top loaders with six strat like steel saddles whereas the current MIM's are string-throughs.

Since I'm a bigger fan of the more traditional Tele tones I prefer the older MIM's and I think that many would find them superior to the new models. I know I do. Having played both guitars I don't find a lot of difference between my 95 and a new CVC with the exception of the string-through bridge and of course the sunburst and rosewood of the CVC. I would say the CV BSB would also be very much like the older MIM Standards.

Personally I would buy a CV before I'd buy a new MIM Standard but if I came across a mid 90's MIM Standard as nice as mine I'd sure give it a look. The price will most likely be in the same range as a new CV. Just my two cents on the differences I've found and where the better values lie.
soulman969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #31 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Send a message via AIM to D34dBaWx Send a message via Yahoo to D34dBaWx

I think that you can find something in the Squier or MIM Fender line that will suit you just fine if you check them out on a guitar to guitar basis. MiM can be worth the extra money and are fine guitars, but are awesome deal when you find them used.
MIM 250.00. Came modded I am putting all the hardware back the right colors on it.

MIM 200.00 completely stock. I loved this one but the frets got played out on it.

affinity 100.00 bucks. It was of the first few runs and had a full sized body and full sized neck. These are harder to find. Most all of the new ones have the thin and narrow neck on them.

Last edited by D34dBaWx; 12-23-2011 at 08:36 PM..
D34dBaWx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:35 AM   #32 (permalink)
Squier Talker

i have 2 affinity made in china butterscotch tele's. i put schallers on them and a seymour duncan little 59'er and esquire pickguard on one and fender vintage tele pups on the other one. they sound great and stay tuned.
they look good, sound good and stay in tune. and are inexpensive. i do my own work so that is no problem. i have no need for MIM or us-made fenders. SIMPLE!!
zzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #33 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzero View Post
i have 2 affinity made in china butterscotch tele's. i put schallers on them and a seymour duncan little 59'er and esquire pickguard on one and fender vintage tele pups on the other one. they sound great and stay tuned.
they look good, sound good and stay in tune. and are inexpensive. i do my own work so that is no problem. i have no need for MIM or us-made fenders. SIMPLE!!
I've had good luck upgrading/modding these also.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:11 AM   #34 (permalink)
Squier-Nut

As have I. The Affinitys are nice starting points to building a great guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S. View Post
I've had good luck upgrading/modding these also.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #35 (permalink)
Squier Talker

I got a jim root tele mim and a cv 50s vb, both are fantastic pieces of work, it depends which sound you want and if the guitar speaks to you when you touch it, this is not a myth its true!!! forexample i was dying to get a nashville deluxe but didnt like the feel when i put it up much different when I took the squier, i thought ok this will change when i turn the amp on, wrong, the cv has done the job!!!! for craftmanship I have to say the nashville was poor. But Mexico does good work for example the jim root teles. you got to let your heart and hands tell you whats perfect for you.
TF73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:27 AM   #36 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllroyPA View Post
Hi Bugo, the Fender Mexican telecasters went from warm good sounding alnico pickups to bright ceramic pickups in 2005. So MZ4-serials and earlier sound better and more authentic in my opinion. Now if you're going to upgrade anyways just go for whichever is a good deal. I think the earlier ones are better overall. If you're gonna go Squier go for something like a Classic Vibe telecaster they have alnico pups also.
Those MIM AlNico pups are great. I bought a spare set for my 2000 MIM Tele-not that I'll ever have a need for them.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #37 (permalink)
Squier Talker

Default A Good Party Never Ends

Alot wisdom and input has just taught me to appreciate the company of likeminded and have I seen some new beauties plus there's so much here it's a brand new day..we should all get together and have the party of a lifetime!
If anyone here has some music to display,please post I'd more than be happy to
listen to the differences of MIMs to Squires...51s included...take care all and thanks!
Old 01-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #38 (permalink)
Squier Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson DeJesus View Post
Alot wisdom and input has just taught me to appreciate the company of likeminded and have I seen some new beauties plus there's so much here it's a brand new day..we should all get together and have the party of a lifetime!
If anyone here has some music to display,please post I'd more than be happy to
listen to the differences of MIMs to Squires...51s included...take care all and thanks!
"Keep searching...you'll find what you weren't looking for!"
Old 01-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #39 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

So, back in September I lost almost everything I owned in a flood. It's a long story, but essentially I was rendered Tele-less.

I can't have that.

However, I have very limited spendy cash, so I'm hunting on a budget.

If I could get anything, I'd probably go for a Fender Baja Tele in desert sand, but even though I've seen some good deals on those used, it's way over my budget. I only have about $300 to spend.

Considered going the SX route. I've owned a couple of SX instruments and thought they were a great value.

But since I have a little more $ to work with than an SX costs, I've been trying to decide between the MIM Tele, the Squier CV and a Standard Squier Tele. I've been playing as many examples of each as I can find.

Of these models, I honestly think the CVs are the best made. In general, that is. Just really fine instruments for low coin.

However, the necks are far too thin for my liking.

I really dig the MIMs and think they are a great value as well. I've owned a couple of MIM Teles (one about a '96 and one a 2003) and liked them quite a bit.

However, also not overly crazy about the necks on them and for the last few years they've come stock with ceramic pickups that I just don't care for and can't seem to get a sound I like from no matter what I play them through.

So, I've finally decided on just a plain jane Squier Standard (vintage blonde.) I do believe the electronics and components of the CVs and MIMs are better in most cases, BUT I have no extra money for modding and the necks on the Squier Standards feel the best to me (even though I tend to prefer maple boards on Teles...)

To me, I haven't found that great a difference in build or feel or playability between these three models (aside from not being crazy about the CV or MIM necks) but the recent Squier Standards seem to come closes to the "whole package" that I am shooting for...decent Alnico pickups, nicest-feeling neck (to me) and the vintage blonde finish on the Standard is actually my favorite finish of all from any available on these models (although I do like the white MIMs and ALL of the CV Teles are awful pretty.)

So, many may feel like it's a mistake, but I think the Squier Standard will get me where I want to go right now, out of the box, more than the others. May want to swap out some wires or hardware at some point, but without having to make any changes right away to be happy, the Squier Standard is gonna fit the bill I think.

Maybe someday I'll be able to afford a "better" Tele and relegate the Standard to "open G slide" playing or something.
Muddslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #40 (permalink)
Squier-holic

I think you made a great choice. Who's to say what is better?

Quote:
I think you are hearing with your eyes. They don't look right, so they dont sound right.
fenderfreak is offline   Reply With Quote