Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum

Go Back   Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum > Squier Discussion Forums > Squier Stratocasters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Squier Stratocasters All kinds of Squier Strats discussed here -- Standard, Bullet, Affinity, Artist, Obey, Classic Vibe, ProTone and Mini discussion.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Squier-Nut

Default Chinese Fender?

I was in GC tonight, and I saw a Fender Strat... not a Squier, a Fender. I stopped turned it and saw "made in china".
Wow!
I thought all "real" Fenders were made in the US.... I'd never seen a Strat with the Fender logo....made in China!
I'm not sure I like that very much.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

Lot of Fender guitars with Fender logos are made in Mexico. Even some sig-strats.
On the flips side there are/has been USA made Squiers.

Fender is known for this sort of thing.
David R Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Squier-holic

The modern player line are Chinese made fenders and fender quietly added a strat to that line not too long ago. The fender acoustics have also been coming from china for a few years. When I first saw that I was appalled, so it didn't hit me as hard when I saw the Chinese made fender electrics.
stratphobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old 02-29-2012, 04:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

it is sa slight liberty putting a Fender Logo on a chinese guitar but i guess its what sells
Rotheryrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

There's a lot of noise in the UK about those guitars on a forum I'm a member of,I'm waiting for some test reports to come in.....
Andrew M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Squier-holic

to me they look like they are classuc vibe quality, simply with a fender logo.
houseguitarshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Yeah I'm not comfortable with it either but Chinese people can do good work too.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseguitarshop View Post
to me they look like they are classuc vibe quality, simply with a fender logo.
The Classic Vibes are of very high quality.
There is only a few things I would change on them and its not even a must really.

I mean the Made in Mexico have a "Fender" name on the logo and I think the Squier Classic Vibe guitars are hands down better then the MIM Strats.

Fender has always done this. I know a guy that have a Made in the USA Baja Strat from the mid 90s that if you put in the S# comes back as a MIM guitar. But, MIA is on the head stock. When you look into it a bit more you find that it was a joint build between Mexico and US plants.
This same thing has happened over the years with US guitar and many other countries.

Strats are just one of thous guitars that once you spend over 800-1000 dollars on you stop getting what you play for and you start paying for hype and names and collectable/re-sale value in 30, or 40 years.
I Know that sucks to hear, but I have been playing them for too long to think any different and I have done to much research on their history.
My opinion of coarse.

I would not freak out over a Made in China Fender anymore then I would a Made in Mexico Fender. Mexico has never been known for their quality control, or building capabilities with anything.
On the same page there are very few 1500 dollar USA Fenders I pick up and think to myself, "ya this feels and looks and sounds and plays like 1500 bucks."

Last edited by David R Ferguson; 02-29-2012 at 10:42 AM..
Old 02-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Squier-Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahDoIt View Post
Yeah I'm not comfortable with it either but Chinese people can do good work too.
I would agree completely there! I didn't mean to suggest that the quality was any less just because it's Chinese! All of the quitars I own are Chinese-made, and the quality is excellent.

I've taken the tour of the American Fender Factory in Corona (it's an hour's drive from here), and it's just sad to see that product, with an unqualified "Fender" logo, come out of China.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Squier-holic

It will affect the Fender marketing illusion that there is something special about their logo guitars made in the USA and in Mexico. MIA & MIM are where Fenders are made and their less expensive guitars are made in Asia. Now they have crossed a line that should offend a lot of logo snobs.

Fender logo acoustics have been made overseas for a long time. I have one and I really like it, but to me it isn't same as an American made acoustic. I am probably wrong

Sorry, I'd have written something shorter but I didn't have the time.
czook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Squier-holic

I agree that the Modern Player series are Classic Vibes without the Squier name.
mrlinguini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Squier-Nut

Another reason to go ahead and just get a Squier.
macrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlinguini View Post
I agree that the Modern Player series are Classic Vibes without the Squier name.
they really are. the classic vibe serials start with CGS and here's the back of the headstock of a modern player strat

Old 02-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Squier-holic

I played one of the Tele's in GC the other night - it was sweet! I can't remember if it $399 or $400 something. The sales guy said it was made in China. Just like the SX's the quality is awesome - it's about time Fender got on board $2K for custom shop is just outrageous.

Hopefully the Squiers keep pace as well... I'll be J-Bass shopping next year
Old 02-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Squier-holic

I guess it's one way to create a "Fender" guitar at a low price point. They've made "Fender" guitars in Korea too (the carved goldtop HH Tele as an example).

My internal conflict is two-sided on this subject... when I think of Fender guitars, I think of a U.S. built guitar from the 50's and 60's. As an American, I like the thought of owning some guitars (and any other products) that were made in the U.S. by U.S. citizens.

But on the other hand, MIA Fenders are pretty expensive today, because the U.S. workers get paid at least the minimum wage, and the worker as well as the manufacturer have to pay state and federal taxes, and they also have to pay for medical insurance, and so many other things that the Chinese workers (who get paid an average of 75 cents an hour) and manufacturers don't have to pay... they don't have the high cost of health insurance, they don't have OSHA looking over their shoulders, etc.

So it really boils down to whether a customer can afford an MIA Fender, or not. If not, now they have an alternative for the customer that wants a "Fender" branded guitar, but at a lower price point. Not everyone is ready to embrace a "Squier" branded guitar. I remember buying my first MIM Fender Strat in the mid-90's, wondering how well it would hold up and how good it would sound, compared to my MIA Strats and Teles. Frankly, the build quality was at least as good as my 70's MIA Fenders, so I finally decided that the lower cost MIM Fenders weren't such a bad thing. Besides, the factory in Mexico was only a hour or two's drive from the factory in California. Granted, the factory in China that is making the new low cost "Fender" branded guitars is thousands of miles away. Their way of life (including the way their country is run) is much different than America or Mexico. So again, each customer has to decide if the Chinese Fenders are a good fit for them or not. But while you consider that, take a look at where most of our TVs, DVD-blueray players, appliances, cell phones, computors and so many other things are made, regardless of what the brand name on them says. Most people in the U.S. buy what they can afford and what they think is a good value. So maybe there is room for Chinese-made Fenders after all?
Old 02-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratphobic View Post
they really are. the classic vibe serials start with CGS and here's the back of the headstock of a modern player strat

Haha. Word.

That is still pretty awesome.
I really like that Modern Player Tele for 399. Its got a coil tapped humbucker in the bridge.

15% off at MF right now. Amazing deal at 340 bucks out the door no tax, or shipping.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:08 AM   #17 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratTuner View Post
I was in GC tonight, and I saw a Fender Strat... not a Squier, a Fender. I stopped turned it and saw "made in china".
Wow!
I thought all "real" Fenders were made in the US.... I'd never seen a Strat with the Fender logo....made in China!
I'm not sure I like that very much.
Makes you wonder if they are all made in the same factory assembly line in China and the guy in charge says....Right these ones get marked Fender and that lot get marked Squier and off they go to their respective dealers

To be honest, I played my brother in laws Fender Strat which retailed around the £1000 mark and it was'nt that far removed from my Squier in respect of sound and playability. I would'nt in the least be surprised if this was/has been going on for years.

Now three
Bluesnote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesnote View Post
Makes you wonder if they are all made in the same factory assembly line in China
they obviously are. it's the same difference in ICS serialed squiers made in the indo cort factory and ICF serialed fenders made in the same factory.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:51 AM   #19 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

I never really understood this absolute need of having a made in US guitar When I play guitar, I play guitar, I do not care where it comes from. Hopefully, there's place like this forum where other people don't care too
barakimou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Squier-Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by barakimou View Post
I never really understood this absolute need of having a made in US guitar When I play guitar, I play guitar, I do not care where it comes from. Hopefully, there's place like this forum where other people don't care too
It's the "Fender" mystique that attracts me... I can only afford the Squier version of that.
Any guitar would do, I suppose... but
Mr. Hendrix did not set an Ibanez on fire at the Montery Pop Festival, and
SRV didn't play a Jackson.