Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum

Go Back   Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum > Squier Discussion Forums > Squier Stratocasters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Squier Stratocasters All kinds of Squier Strats discussed here -- Standard, Bullet, Affinity, Artist, Obey, Classic Vibe, ProTone and Mini discussion.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Squier Talker

Default Opinions Please, 97 YN Strat. (pics)

I have the chance to pick this up. It's a 97 YN serial# squier Strat. Come with the Vintage Hardshell Case. Plus a partial loaded nice faded white pickgaurd from the 90's needs a 5 way switch and a volume pot.
I've also had someone offer me a SG copy with 3 humbuckers and a Bigsby.
Have a couple of other offers too.
So I wnat your opinions on the Strat. The pros and cons of the 97 YN's. Also what you think it's worth.
Also what model it is if you can tell.
Attached Thumbnails
Opinions Please, 97 YN Strat. (pics)-97yn1-jpg   Opinions Please, 97 YN Strat. (pics)-97yn2-jpg  

Opinions Please, 97 YN Strat. (pics)-97yn3-jpg   Opinions Please, 97 YN Strat. (pics)-97yn4-jpg  

Old 06-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Squier-holic

That guitar was made by Yako in Tiawan. People who have them generally seem to think they are decent, but they are not particularly sought after or rare. They have the typical Squier parts that need upgrading like ceramic pickups, dime size 500k pots and pot metal trem block... It's worth $75-$100 and the hard shell case is worth another $25-$50. That is based on the local market here where I live (Austin, TX), and might be +/- a little in other places depending on conditions there. Squier didn't have the well defined model series in 1997 like they have now (Bullet/Affinity/Standard/Deluxe was just starting around that time, 1998-2000), so it was just called a basic "Squier Strat". I've seen some China/Tiawan made Squiers from around 1997 that were marked "Affinity Series" which didn't have the same issues that later Affinities have like the thin body and narrow neck at the nut. Anyway, I like the color and it looks in pretty decent shape and the case looks nice. If it plays O.K. and the price is right I'd probably go for it.
softwarejanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Squier Talker

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for it. I'll be trading a set of Gibson 490R 498T pickups out of a 1999 Les Paul Standard. I got a great deal on them when I bought them a little bit ago. I just never got around to using them.
Sponsored posting

Old 06-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Squier-holic

I'd go for it. Neck looks very similar in grain to mine, very nice.

Quote:
I think you are hearing with your eyes. They don't look right, so they dont sound right.
fenderfreak is offline   Reply With Quote