Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum

Go Back   Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum > Squier Discussion Forums > Squier Stratocasters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Squier Stratocasters All kinds of Squier Strats discussed here -- Standard, Bullet, Affinity, Artist, Obey, Classic Vibe, ProTone and Mini discussion.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Squier Talker

Default strat identification

Hello guys,

I'm bidding on this 90's strat. Seller says it's made in Japan as it says so on the headstock decal, but I'm not sure. On the heel there is a serial number: v024353.

Can someone tell me if it's really a MIJ, looking at the combination of the headstock decal and the serial on the heel?

Sorry for my english.
Attached Thumbnails
strat identification-schermafdruk-jpg   strat identification-schermafdruk-1-jpg  

strat identification-schermafdruk-2-jpg  

prozac86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Hi prozac86! Welcome to Squier-Talk! That serial number is a valid Japan number. It would be from a 96-97.
woolbrig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Squier Talker

thank you very much woolbridge!

i have another question, the headstock decal says: "squier by fender STRAT" (without the "caster") and is written in all black. Is this normal for Japanese strats from that time?
Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old 05-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Squier-holic

something looks off to me,

it may be the last run of japan stuff, but the bridge saddles are not bend steel they are the grooved saddels, thats not common for japan stuff, alot of them had bend steel with fender stamped.

do you have better pictures of the serial number, that neck looks like a bullet strat neck or a strat pak neck
houseguitarshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Squier Talker

here are some bigger pics

Last edited by prozac86; 05-20-2011 at 09:19 AM..
Old 05-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Squier-holic

I have never seen one like that before, how much is it selling for if you dont mind me asking,

it looks kind of fishy all around I think , It could be legit for all I know, but the body looks supper clean and new compared to the pickguard, which looks alot older, then even the pickup covers, it has a push button too, could be a mod, the headstock is that of a china made strat pak guitar, the made in japan text is alittle different then the rest of the text, I am thinking someone may be trying to pull a fast one and get a higher price for a china made guitar.

you can kinda see a scuff on the back of the headstock were the original serial was either sanded off, or the sticker was pealed off, some are stickers on the strat pak guitars.

the serial number looks to small and to low to me, but I dont know anyone eles see on of these before.

I think this one may be safer to pass on, unless its pretty cheap already, then it doesnt matter if you do end up getting a china made guitar.

it could be japan made though, squier has does alot of different stuff over the years. I would try to find another example of a guitar somewhere to verify this is a real japan squier.

the V indicates its a 1996 or 1997, which would make senes, the vista series was being made in japan at that time, they could have pushed a few other reguar "strat" models out of there also, but overall, it looks china made and modded to me

Last edited by houseguitarshop; 05-20-2011 at 09:38 AM..
Old 05-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Squier-holic

It does look kinda hinky. The neck and headstock other than the "Made in Japan" does look almost exactly like an SE, especially the "Squier" labeled 10mm die cast tuners. The body and neck plate don't look like an SE though, nor do the shape of the bridge saddles. I've seen that little button in the pickguard before, but at the moment my memory is failing as to where. At this point to me it seems like a partscaster with some fakery on the "made in" and serial number decals. If it is legit, it is unusual because according to what I can gather from that serial number it supposedly came from Fuji Gen in 1996-1997, and as far as I know any Squiers they made that late were for sale only in the pacific rim region.
softwarejanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Squier Talker

Wow, I knew there was something fishy about it. Sellers asking price was 200 euro that's around 250 dollars, I made a bid of 150 euro. Not even 10 minutes later the seller contacted me wanting to close the deal and exchange guitar for the money, so fast!

Thank the lord I found this site. And thank you houseguitarshop for the great info.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Squier-holic

not a problem, glad to help, if you looking for a mij squier, I would try and snag one of the E serials, those ones they made alot of and they dont demand as high of a price as the JVs, the SQs, and A seirals yet.

heres one ending in two days on ebay 8 bids but still relatively low price, try and get on for total cost around $200 USD and you will do good on it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Squier-St...#ht_1038wt_872

this one is an A serial, comes with case, I would say if you can get that for $200 USD also its a good pirce.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Squier-St...item1e639d53d6

this ones a contemporary meaning sold to japan market not exported to USA or England, andways its and SQ should fetch more money, again $200 is a steal on this one, $250-300 is not bad

http://cgi.ebay.com/Squier-Fender-Ja...#ht_2366wt_952

this one is going to get highy price but watch it, it looks like a JV with a missing neck plate serial, and a few modes, JVs can fetch upwards $1000, with the mods and parts missing this one will probably reach $500

http://cgi.ebay.com/Squier-Fender-Ja...#ht_2403wt_952

I dont know if they ship to your area or not. good luck, do your homework, is the best tip for guitar sales, make sure you know what your buying

Last edited by houseguitarshop; 05-20-2011 at 10:39 AM..
Old 05-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Don't know why someone would go to so much trouble to counterfeit a Squier. Lots of models are made that never come to the USA. I think it is a really nice guitar and worth the price. YMMV.

Sorry, I'd have written something shorter but I didn't have the time.
czook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by czook View Post
Don't know why someone would go to so much trouble to counterfeit a Squier. Lots of models are made that never come to the USA. I think it is a really nice guitar and worth the price. YMMV.
Why would someone go though the trouble? because a squier made china will sell for $100 a squier made in japan will sell for $300, they are trying to make a quick easy buck off somone.

I am sure that it didnt take much, to stamp a serial on the neck, and stamp made in japan on the headstock. post it up and see if someone who doesnt no much about made in japan squiers will buy it and never no the differance.

it really looks like a china made guitar to me.
heres a linke to a thread with an SE squier guitar, same tunners, same truss rod adjustment, same cut off of the rosewood at the top of the neck, same logo, wich is a give away, a different facotry would have used slighly different font style,

it would ber eally easy, alot of those SE strat pak squier, dont even have serial anywhere but a simple sticker, so it would be really easy to take the sticker off and add a serial to a squier

looks to idential not to believe its a fake-o japan

if anyone can find one other example like that squier, you will then be able to change my mind about this one.

http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/squi...squier-se.html