Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum

Go Back   Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum > Squier Discussion Forums > Squier Stratocasters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Squier Stratocasters All kinds of Squier Strats discussed here -- Standard, Bullet, Affinity, Artist, Obey, Classic Vibe, ProTone and Mini discussion.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default CAE Serial Strat

Recently, I've been eyeing a used Squier Strat - for modding - in my local music shop. I finally played it today and plays it great. However, there are a few things I need to know first. It's serial is CAE, I just wish to know what year it's from, what wood it's made from and what routing it has.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DoubtfulGuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Squier-holic

About the only thing you can tell from the CAE is it was made in China.

If the Serial # is on a sticker, it's probably an SE. They are routed HSS.

A couple of pics and full serial # would help with identifying it.
woolbrig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubtfulGuest View Post
Recently, I've been eyeing a used Squier Strat - for modding - in my local music shop. I finally played it today and plays it great. However, there are a few things I need to know first. It's serial is CAE, I just wish to know what year it's from, what wood it's made from and what routing it has.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
CAE is a common serial number for a Made in China Squier Strat Special Edition SE. They came in "Strat Packs" with a Squier SP 10 amp, a gig bag, and some other stuff.

The next two digits after the CAE are the year. 99= 1999, 00 = 2000, 01 = 2001, etc. They are usually made from 2-3 piece solid Agathis. The routing on earlier ones is sometimes HSH, but a lot of them are HSS. It wouldn't take much time with a router to open the HSS versions up for HSH if you wanted.

SE's are a great modding base and not really that bad as they come stock if you give them a good setup. If you are buying one the price should be between $50-$120 depending on your local market. Here in Austin they are typically $75-$100.

Just noticed that you are in the UK... pricing over there is a lot higher than the US... you are probably looking at more like £50-£120 over there which is $85-$205.
softwarejanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old 06-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Squier Talker

I have just purchased one of these guitars (serial CAE-002080258) and I have to say the quality of the finish on the neck, and how it feels, is quite exceptional, especially for its' price. The minted scratch plate is a bonus too. By comparison, the neck feels as good as my USA-made 1987/88 Fender Strat+ (serial number E488438), worth around eight times as much.

There are some slight issues with it keeping tune, but I think some good replacement springs in the tremolo system should sort that out (it usually does).

I also have an early Japanese-made Stratocaster with a maple neck, but that's elsewhere at the moment. This has fast become one of my favourite guitars though, even with the slight tuning problem.

Regards,

Shaun.
Shaun_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun_B View Post
I have just purchased one of these guitars (serial CAE-002080258) and I have to say the quality of the finish on the neck, and how it feels, is quite exceptional, especially for its' price. The minted scratch plate is a bonus too. By comparison, the neck feels as good as my USA-made 1987/88 Fender Strat+ (serial number E488438), worth around eight times as much.

There are some slight issues with it keeping tune, but I think some good replacement springs in the tremolo system should sort that out (it usually does).

I also have an early Japanese-made Stratocaster with a maple neck, but that's elsewhere at the moment. This has fast become one of my favourite guitars though, even with the slight tuning problem.

Regards,

Shaun.
I would recommend changing the trem out completely with one of these:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Made-in-...ock_p_489.html

It has a full size steel block and steel saddles and is a really nice upgrade over the stock trem with crappy thin pot metal block and die cast zinc saddles.

The other upgrades I'd recommend are swapping the dime size 500k pots out for full size 250k pots and the cap for a good 0.047uf one like a Sprague Orange Drop. Like these:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Full-Siz...ity_p_273.html
http://www.guitarfetish.com/047uf-Sp...le_p_1157.html

And the pickups for a nice set with Alnico magnets... Like maybe these:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Premium-...Set_p_633.html

With those upgrades if you think it gives your MIA a run for its money now... With quality parts in it, it will be even closer...

Oh and for tuning issues... make sure your nut is properly cut, well lubed (graphite works well) and also the string trees, make sure they are lubed and free from burs or sharp edges.
softwarejanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Squier Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by softwarejanitor View Post
With those upgrades if you think it gives your MIA a run for its money now... With quality parts in it, it will be even closer...

Oh and for tuning issues... make sure your nut is properly cut, well lubed (graphite works well) and also the string trees, make sure they are lubed and free from burs or sharp edges.
Thanks for the tips. I was only comparing the neck as in it's just nice to play, as good as any of my guitars. I think I'll try the springs first though as that usually does the trick, or it has in the past. I'll leave most of the hardware the same as, for what I paid, it's probably dead money upgrading. I may as well put that money to another guitar really.

Regards,

Shaun.
Shaun_B is offline   Reply With Quote