Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum

Go Back   Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum > Squier Discussion Forums > Squier Stratocasters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Squier Stratocasters All kinds of Squier Strats discussed here -- Standard, Bullet, Affinity, Artist, Obey, Classic Vibe, ProTone and Mini discussion.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
DoubtfulGuest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: England
Posts: 1
Default CAE Serial Strat

Recently, I've been eyeing a used Squier Strat - for modding - in my local music shop. I finally played it today and plays it great. However, there are a few things I need to know first. It's serial is CAE, I just wish to know what year it's from, what wood it's made from and what routing it has.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DoubtfulGuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Squier-holic
 
woolbrig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bethalto, IL
Age: 51
Posts: 3,156
Default

About the only thing you can tell from the CAE is it was made in China.

If the Serial # is on a sticker, it's probably an SE. They are routed HSS.

A couple of pics and full serial # would help with identifying it.
woolbrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Squier-holic
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pflugerville, TX
Posts: 2,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubtfulGuest View Post
Recently, I've been eyeing a used Squier Strat - for modding - in my local music shop. I finally played it today and plays it great. However, there are a few things I need to know first. It's serial is CAE, I just wish to know what year it's from, what wood it's made from and what routing it has.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
CAE is a common serial number for a Made in China Squier Strat Special Edition SE. They came in "Strat Packs" with a Squier SP 10 amp, a gig bag, and some other stuff.

The next two digits after the CAE are the year. 99= 1999, 00 = 2000, 01 = 2001, etc. They are usually made from 2-3 piece solid Agathis. The routing on earlier ones is sometimes HSH, but a lot of them are HSS. It wouldn't take much time with a router to open the HSS versions up for HSH if you wanted.

SE's are a great modding base and not really that bad as they come stock if you give them a good setup. If you are buying one the price should be between $50-$120 depending on your local market. Here in Austin they are typically $75-$100.

Just noticed that you are in the UK... pricing over there is a lot higher than the US... you are probably looking at more like £50-£120 over there which is $85-$205.
softwarejanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting
 

Old 06-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Squier Talker
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7
Default

I have just purchased one of these guitars (serial CAE-002080258) and I have to say the quality of the finish on the neck, and how it feels, is quite exceptional, especially for its' price. The minted scratch plate is a bonus too. By comparison, the neck feels as good as my USA-made 1987/88 Fender Strat+ (serial number E488438), worth around eight times as much.

There are some slight issues with it keeping tune, but I think some good replacement springs in the tremolo system should sort that out (it usually does).

I also have an early Japanese-made Stratocaster with a maple neck, but that's elsewhere at the moment. This has fast become one of my favourite guitars though, even with the slight tuning problem.

Regards,

Shaun.
Shaun_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Squier-holic
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pflugerville, TX
Posts: 2,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun_B View Post
I have just purchased one of these guitars (serial CAE-002080258) and I have to say the quality of the finish on the neck, and how it feels, is quite exceptional, especially for its' price. The minted scratch plate is a bonus too. By comparison, the neck feels as good as my USA-made 1987/88 Fender Strat+ (serial number E488438), worth around eight times as much.

There are some slight issues with it keeping tune, but I think some good replacement springs in the tremolo system should sort that out (it usually does).

I also have an early Japanese-made Stratocaster with a maple neck, but that's elsewhere at the moment. This has fast become one of my favourite guitars though, even with the slight tuning problem.

Regards,

Shaun.
I would recommend changing the trem out completely with one of these:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Made-in-...ock_p_489.html

It has a full size steel block and steel saddles and is a really nice upgrade over the stock trem with crappy thin pot metal block and die cast zinc saddles.

The other upgrades I'd recommend are swapping the dime size 500k pots out for full size 250k pots and the cap for a good 0.047uf one like a Sprague Orange Drop. Like these:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Full-Siz...ity_p_273.html
http://www.guitarfetish.com/047uf-Sp...le_p_1157.html

And the pickups for a nice set with Alnico magnets... Like maybe these:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Premium-...Set_p_633.html

With those upgrades if you think it gives your MIA a run for its money now... With quality parts in it, it will be even closer...

Oh and for tuning issues... make sure your nut is properly cut, well lubed (graphite works well) and also the string trees, make sure they are lubed and free from burs or sharp edges.
softwarejanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Squier Talker
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by softwarejanitor View Post
With those upgrades if you think it gives your MIA a run for its money now... With quality parts in it, it will be even closer...

Oh and for tuning issues... make sure your nut is properly cut, well lubed (graphite works well) and also the string trees, make sure they are lubed and free from burs or sharp edges.
Thanks for the tips. I was only comparing the neck as in it's just nice to play, as good as any of my guitars. I think I'll try the springs first though as that usually does the trick, or it has in the past. I'll leave most of the hardware the same as, for what I paid, it's probably dead money upgrading. I may as well put that money to another guitar really.

Regards,

Shaun.
Shaun_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice MIJ Strat from 1990 (K0 serial) pjoris Squier Stratocasters 6 06-13-2012 03:04 PM
Squier Strat '96/97 Korean Serial VN354061 Value? mastercuz Squier Stratocasters 97 10-23-2011 10:28 AM
CL Chitown - 85 A+6 serial Strat up Cool Craig Squier Stratocasters 0 03-18-2011 05:55 PM
Korean Squier strat Serial no VN? VT? richard g Squier Stratocasters 3 02-27-2011 08:07 AM
Serial Number help - Standard Strat Eric Goldsmith Squier Stratocasters 1 12-27-2009 02:18 PM

» Random Photos
Bands over the years
Detector
Bands over the years
» Recent Threads
Title, Username, & Date
How to stop obsessing...
buzzaround
07-29-2014 12:00 AM
Choosing a guitar
horax
Today 12:55 AM
Need help to Identify...
Son of Timett
07-29-2014 12:37 AM
NGD...Squier Affinity...
D_Rad
07-25-2014 06:43 PM
E10 MIK construction
stratmanshow
07-27-2014 03:30 PM
Am I losing my hearing?
buzzaround
Yesterday 08:10 PM
Hello!
greenreverb
07-23-2014 04:04 PM
Mods on VM Jaguar are...
Bear
05-04-2014 04:03 PM
what tool to open guitar...
-MKR-
07-27-2014 10:21 PM
Anyone Wanna Twofer?
roscoestring
Yesterday 08:01 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:50 AM.
 


Design by: vBulletin Skins Zone
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2
The words Fender®, Squier® Telecaster®, Stratocaster® and the associated headstock designs are registered trademarks of the Fender Musical Instruments Corporation.
Squier-Talk.com is an independent, member supported forum and is not affiliated with Fender Musical Instruments Corporation.
© 2009 All rights reserved.

Strat-Talk.com is not responsible for the content posted by private individuals on this website. The views expressed herein are solely the opinions of the individuals that produced them and not necessarily the views of the owner of this website.