Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum

Go Back   Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum > Squier Discussion Forums > Squier Stratocasters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Squier Stratocasters All kinds of Squier Strats discussed here -- Standard, Bullet, Affinity, Artist, Obey, Classic Vibe, ProTone and Mini discussion.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Squier Talker

Default Help Identifying a Squier Strat

Hi Everyone,
I've just acquired a Korean Strat, but I have no idea what model or year it is.
It has several non-standard features, although for all I know some could be factory fitted, so I'll list them. It has;
Roller String-Trees
Gotoh Tuners
a Fender Bridge
a 3-ply BWB Scratchplate
a small, 50's style headstock
at least one different pickup. The wiring was redone just before I bought it, and apparently the middle pickup doesn't match the other two. It sounds much better to my ear.

The colour is closest to Fender's Torino red, and this appears to be the original colour.
It is rather heavy compared to other strats I've played, and the Serial Number is E1026266

I'm new to the forums, and I don't really know too much about Squiers, so I was hoping someone could help identifying it?

Thanks

IAmFunkmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Squier Talker

Well, from the serial, I belive the E10's were from 1990 or 91, not sure tho. The roller string trees are probably aftermarket as well as the pickguard. The Tuners and bridge are possibly factory. Can't really say much more with no pics tho..
2003 Dean Performer Series Acoustic
IronWolfe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Squier Talker

Thanks IronWolfe, I'm uploading pictures now...
If you need any others, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Help Identifying a Squier Strat-photo1-jpg   Help Identifying a Squier Strat-photo2-jpg  

Help Identifying a Squier Strat-photo3-jpg   Help Identifying a Squier Strat-photo4-jpg  

Help Identifying a Squier Strat-photo5-jpg  

1991 MIK Squier Stratocaster
2003 Fender Classic Series 50's Stratocaster
2006 Epiphone G400 (w/ DiMarzio Pickups)

Marshall AVT50 Combo

Last edited by IAmFunkmeister; 09-20-2010 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: added pictures
IAmFunkmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old 09-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Squier-Nut

With the exception of the pickup it sounds all original to me. E10s featured the black roller string trees and the tuners shoud say Fender with the little gotoh symbol on them. The color is right as well. E10 dates vary. Could be as old as '87 or made in the 90s.
Acidhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

I know this is an old post, but...

I have the same guitar with an E10 serial... the only thing that looks out of place is the 3 ply pick-guard.

-Same black plastic trees.
-Mine originally had the same fender stamped saddles, I replaced mine with Graph Tech String Saver saddles.
-Same Gotoh branded tuners, no Fender markings on them.
-Mine came stock with a 1-ply pick-guard, which matches the 50's theme of the guitar.
-I seem to remember there being something on the guitar saying it was an 87, 88 or 89 (could have been on a sticker on the bolt-on neck plate). I bought mine used in the spring of 92 and it seemed like it had been a few years old at the time. It'd be nice to know what E10 officially means.
morbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Squier-Nut

E is supposed to be for the company which I believe was Young Chang, (the piano makers). 10 is sort of an oddity because these seem to date anywhere from '87 to '91. Compare that to E9 which seems to date 88-91 and E7 which seems to date to '87. It was the startup time in Korea so things were a bit haphazzard then. At the same time, US Fender dating meant E for Eighties and then the next number reflected the year E9 would be '89, (but even US dating wasn't exact). Most of what is posted about Squier dating is conjecture and stuff that has built up from original owners through the years. Basically, we Squier owners are playing detective and creating an info base for this kind of stuff as compared to US Fenders where you can simply email consumer relations or buy a book that will tell you the answers.
Acidhouse is offline   Reply With Quote