Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum

Go Back   Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum > Squier Discussion Forums > Squier Stratocasters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Squier Stratocasters All kinds of Squier Strats discussed here -- Standard, Bullet, Affinity, Artist, Obey, Classic Vibe, ProTone and Mini discussion.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:02 PM   #21 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Default Next came the E serial number Squiers

the E serial number guitars start to overlay the A, B and C serial number guitars when they are produced.

E + 6 digits 1984-1987

A + 6 digits 1985-1986
B + 6 digits 1985-1986
C + 6 digits 1985-1986

The E series are 50-60s based guitars similar to the JV and SQ guitars, but without vintage style tuners. they have fender japan stamped gotoh style tuners, and fender stamped saddles. Vintage style truss rod adjustment, and flat pole pickups. The serial number moves from the neck plate to the headstock, just under the squier logo.

I will leave some time here for anyone with an E serial squier to post some pictures and continue with the A serial tomorrow.

Last edited by houseguitarshop; 07-14-2010 at 04:08 PM..
houseguitarshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #22 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

Hi houseguitarshop,

I am the originator of the Squier JV pages (the info in one or two places needs updating, though I'm glad to say it is not too far off the mark).

I'll 'try' to condense as much as I can here (sorry if you already knew most of this).

The first JV's made were domestic Fender models closely followed by export Fender Squier series models. Squier wise, it was the export Strats only that got the USA pickups, all other export models had Japanese pickups fitted. The export Strat models were basically the same spec as the Fender ST-65 models except for a couple of small details.

The first exports (first manufactured mid to late April '82) had the large Fender logo (for about the first three months of FJ production) and from mid 1982 the Squier brand appeared. All export Squier Strats from 1982 to 1984 had American pickups (from plain wire, dated, grey / red bobbin units to cloth wire black bobbin units), except for a short period, approx Sept '82, where it would appear that a few exports had SQ pickups. In October 1982 Japan released it's own Squier brand models, which (Strat wise) were very close in spec to the export guitars, except for their Japanese plain wire SQ pickups, and spring pu adjustment (SST-45 and SST-50); Later in 1983 they introduced (for the domestic Squiers) 5 way pickup selector switches, and a budget SST-30 model with ceramic pickups and cheaper covered tuners.

Domestic Squier bodies are mostly made from alder, with a few basswood guitars here and there, whereas exports can be either sen ash (earlier guitars mostly), basswood or alder.

April 1983 saw the domestic introduction of the 70's styled CST (JV) range, soon after exported as the 'popular' or SQ model.
The early CST guitars have the rather confusing detail of a JV0xxxx number, not to be confused with the first JV's of 1982.

Domestic basses lacked the vintage style tuners, bridge saddles and cloth wire pickups of the export line.

Domestic Squier JV's are not very far behind the accuracy of the exports, but what little the export's gain has given them a bit more kudos in some countries (the export's American Strat pickups (as used on the early USA reissues) made them a big hit in the UK.

The first Fender Squiers are like gold dust!.... VERY desirable, and are about twice the value of a Squier brand guitar. These and the first issue domestic ST-85 and 115 models are the most desirable of vintage JV guitars (second issue domestic Fender JV's (from mid '83) have less bold decals and the 'Made in Japan' decal is moved to the back of the neck where it joins the body).

Late 1983 sees a big increase in models for the domestic Japanese market (roughly JV7xxxx on), with Contemporary models, '52 P Basses, paisley Tele's etc, etc.

Incidentily A000xxx numbered guitars are often neck dated (If I remember correctly) Nov '84 and often have export JV specs (seems odd then that the 'E' serials are recorded as coming before the 'A' models?).

One JV pages detail that is both correct and incorrect (if you know what I mean) is that JV = Japanese Vintage....well, it does, except that the Japanese wouldn't say it like that... to them it means 'Japan Vintage' (a small insignificant point perhaps, but true nontheless.....

I hope this is of some use to you?

A huge amount of combined knowledge and research has gone into 21frets, with serious JV collectors from all over the world contributing their time and experience to the site.....a BIG thank you! to all who have made it what it is today.

Last edited by rockape; 07-14-2010 at 04:47 PM..
rockape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

Here's my own first issue export Strat, with a set of factory fit X-1's (JV02122 - neck date May 19th 1982).

The sunburst on this guitar (and others from this period) is very a very attractive 'brown', which is identicle in tone to that of the 1979 / 80 Fullerton brown-burst Strats (different to that of my late 1981 (pre-JV) Greco Strat)......same paint perhaps???

Last edited by rockape; 07-14-2010 at 05:11 PM..
rockape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old 07-14-2010, 05:34 PM   #24 (permalink)
Squier-Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseguitarshop View Post
I know I probably missed quite a few details on the JV series guitars, I will let the other sites fill in the blanks and move on with time line.

here is a great site for the JV squiers if anyone wants more info on a specific model.
http://www.21frets.com/
This is fantastic stuff, Thank you. I missed out on a Japanese Strat a couple weeks ago for $70 on Craigslist. The man I guess had no idea what he had. He said he'd call if the buyer backs out. Ya right, The buyer probably knew what they had probably. Oh well. lol
1974 Yamaha Acoustic FG-75
Suek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:36 PM   #25 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Default thanks rockape

thanks for the input

the jv pages are awesome, I really like the layout, it has great info, and great pictures.

have you though about continuing the website to all squier models?

I just wanted to touch on the basics on this forum, mabey get a few articals and some basic knowledge about each year.

on this forum, many times people often ask, which squier is the best or what year is my squier. And its a huge ordeal to tell them the story. so I thought I would make a time-line of production to see the change in counties and factories and how that has effected the quality
Old 07-16-2010, 07:12 PM   #26 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

There is some good info on the TDPRI under guitar owners club on the first series Squier Bullets from the 80s,lucky to be an owner of one.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #27 (permalink)
Squier-Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
There is some good info on the TDPRI under guitar owners club on the first series Squier Bullets from the 80s,lucky to be an owner of one.
Thanks, I'll check it out.
1974 Yamaha Acoustic FG-75
Suek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:45 PM   #28 (permalink)
Squier Talker

This is great.

Many thanks,
BC
08 Fender Starcaster 70s Inca Silver replica
Blackguard Teles in the works
bluecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #29 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Default E serial Squiers

the E serial number guitars start to overlay the A, B and C serial number guitars when they are produced.

E + 6 digits 1984-1987

A + 6 digits 1985-1986
B + 6 digits 1985-1986
C + 6 digits 1985-1986

The E series are 50-60s based guitars similar to the JV and SQ guitars, but without vintage style tuners. they have fender japan stamped gotoh style tuners, and fender stamped saddles. Vintage style truss rod adjustment, and flat pole pickups. The serial number moves from the neck plate to the headstock, just under the squier logo.

Some E seriers also had guitars that had no pickguards, no-traditional switches, and no-tradition pickup configurations. In My Opinion, The E, A, B, and C serial guitars were made at the same time with the same specs for each different model, in 1986 the A, B, and C serials were stopped and the E serial was continued.

from what I have seen, alot of the A, B, and C serials looks similar to alot of the E serial guitars.
Attached Thumbnails
Squier History (models of guitars)-1986-e-squier-black-headstock-jpg   Squier History (models of guitars)-1986-e-squier-black-headstock-no-pickguard2-jpg  

Squier History (models of guitars)-e-squier-headstock-tele2-jpg   Squier History (models of guitars)-e-squier-headstock-tele-jpg  

Squier History (models of guitars)-1986-e-squier-black-headstock-no-pickguard3-jpg  
Old 07-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #30 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Default A series guitar

this guitar looks similar to the E guitar in the previous post, but this is an A serial with the serial number on the bolt plate instead of the headstock
Attached Thumbnails
Squier History (models of guitars)-1986-squier-redheadstock-no-pickguard3-jpg  
Old 07-21-2010, 11:10 AM   #31 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Default E series guitars with 50-60 necks and bodies

here is an E serial guitar that is simmilar to the JV specs, I have seen A serial guitars that look like this too. second photo is another A serial
Attached Thumbnails
Squier History (models of guitars)-1987-e-guitar-jpg   Squier History (models of guitars)-1987-e-guitar2-jpg  

Old 07-21-2010, 11:13 AM   #32 (permalink)
Squier-holic

they also made E serial guitars with locking trem bridges and locking nuts, and E serial guitars with vintage trem bridges
Attached Thumbnails
Squier History (models of guitars)-e-e-serial-50s-jpg   Squier History (models of guitars)-trm-jpg  

Old 07-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #33 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Default e series

60s E serial
Attached Thumbnails
Squier History (models of guitars)-e-guiitar-jpg  
Old 07-21-2010, 11:25 AM   #34 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Default A serial guitars 60s

This looks exactly like my 1984 SQ 4-bolt neck only this guitar has a plastic shim under the neckplate, the tunners and bridge are the same
Attached Thumbnails
Squier History (models of guitars)-serial-jpg   Squier History (models of guitars)-serial-bridge-jpg  

Squier History (models of guitars)-serial-headstock-jpg   Squier History (models of guitars)-serial-neck-plate-jpg  

Squier History (models of guitars)-serial-pickups-jpg  
Old 07-21-2010, 11:25 AM   #35 (permalink)
Squier-holic

a few more pictures of the A serial guitar modeled loosely after a 60s JV
Attached Thumbnails
Squier History (models of guitars)-serial-plate-jpg   Squier History (models of guitars)-serial-tunners-jpg  

Old 07-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #36 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Default Korea, Mexico, India

From what I have seen, Squier starts out in 1982 by copying what fender is doing in japan and capturing the low budget guitar market, buy borrowing parts and design from fender to get started.

soon squier becomes cost minded and begins to make squier cheaper to build, so we see that begin with the SQ and Domestic JVs with the cheaper hardware and electronics, and more so on the E, A, B, and C serial guitars.

With Squiers production cost in mind, fender looks to start building squiers at different locations with cheaper labor. My guess is in 1985 when the new FMIC (fender musical instrument corporation) is created the idea of makeing squier even cheaper to build came about.

fender looked to india, korea, and mexico.

in that late 80s we start to see Korean made E serial guitars, many begin with E7xxxx serial numbers.

I am not sure what factory these E serial number korean guitars were made. there is little info about the korea E serial number guitars.

there is a theroy that the parts were shipped to Korea for assembly only, due to the high quality of craftsmanship, authentic fender parts, full size bodies, full size trem blocks, etc. it is a little a mystery.

I read in a book that it is inside known to fender emploies that the E serial korean guitars are some of the best made stratocasters out there.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #37 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Default the other models

now,

I have not coverd this much yet,

there were JV serial bullet guitars, SQ serial bullet guitars, and JV and SQ bullet basses that were made in japan the same time as the JV and SQ Stratocaster guitars.

these guitars, got all the water down hardware and electronics from the get go. alot also did not have as many body contours. these guitars had tele style necks and small strat shaped bodies, the bridges vary in style

there was also a bullet with a strat style neck and a tele style body with an elongated bottom horn.
Attached Thumbnails
Squier History (models of guitars)-bullets-jpg   Squier History (models of guitars)-bullets2-jpg  

Squier History (models of guitars)-bullets4-jpg  
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #38 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Default E serial Korean guitars

I will leave a few days for anyone who would like to post a, JV, SQ, E serial, A, B, or C serial, or bullet guitars from Japan before I move on to Korean, USA, and Mexican Squiers
Old 07-21-2010, 10:55 PM   #39 (permalink)
Squier Talker

E10xxxxx, yes, E1 plus 6 numbers. Fender stamped saddles, Japanese Gotoh "Fender" written on tuners. (non vintage). Two Japanese "Standard Model" big block black roller string trees, and ST-57 in neck pocket, note the 8 hole guard. Flat poll pups. Dime pots and plastic covered wiring. Full size solid body.

Quote: houseguitarshop:
" there is a theory that the parts were shipped to Korea for assembly only, due to the high quality of craftsmanship, authentic fender parts, full size bodies, full size trem blocks, etc. it is a little a mystery.
I read in a book that it is inside known to fender emploies that the E serial korean guitars are some of the best made stratocasters out there."

Thanks for all your research houseguitarshop!, fascinating, but I'm afraid I'm only going to add to the confusion.lol.
The description above would normally make you think MIJ right? No it is MIK, at least that's what it says on the headstock! I too believe that my guitar has an American bridge with an early E10 Japanese neck and those distinct (ugly,lol) string trees which are clearly from a Japanese "Standard" model Strat as verified on numerous MIJ JV,SQ,E series websites. It has been explained to me by a collector in Montreal that the E10 necks were the very first ones made for the initial release of the first "Fender" MIJ Strats but were used as "extra" stock lying around on the Japanese E serial Squier models and later on the MIK E series models. He says I actually have a "Fender" MIJ neck and not a Squier MIK neck. The last clue is also fascinating. I cannot show in pictures because of the gold number on the maple headstock but with a magnifying glass I can clearly see that the decal has been altered in the area of the MIK part under the finish.....hmmmm......changed from MIJ????? One last thing. I bought this guitar from my best friend of 40 years and he swears he got it as a wedding present from his ex wife in 1984 and seriously folks it "sat under his bed" for 25 years! I've owned many MIA's, MIJ's and MIM's and this is the nicest Strat I have owned bar none.
Attached Thumbnails
Squier History (models of guitars)-im001037-medium-jpg   Squier History (models of guitars)-img_0774-medium-jpg  

Last edited by Squier Buyer; 07-21-2010 at 11:23 PM..
Squier Buyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:15 PM   #40 (permalink)
Squier Talker

Here she is with her new Tort guard, American Custom Shop 57-62 pups, all cloth vintage wiring, full CTS pots and American 5-way switch modded to roll off treble on the bridge pup. Yes a nice Strat indeed.

Thanks again houseguitarshop. I'm looking forward to following your informative thread about my favorite guitars......I guess my user name kinda gives that away.
Attached Thumbnails
Squier History (models of guitars)-img_0951-medium-jpg