Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum

Go Back   Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum > Squier Discussion Forums > Squier Stratocasters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Squier Stratocasters All kinds of Squier Strats discussed here -- Standard, Bullet, Affinity, Artist, Obey, Classic Vibe, ProTone and Mini discussion.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Squier Talker

Default Query regarding "Made In Indonesia" serial number..

Hi, this is my first post so bear with me...

I recently bought a 2nd hand Squier Strat, really pleased with it and it plays like a dream as expected. I owned one a few years back and loved it but sold it during my hard-up student days. Anyway...

On the back of the head it says Crafted in Indonesia, with the serial no IC050525656. According to the Fender website, they moved from Korea to the Indonesian Cort factory in 2008. All the serial numbers begin with IC08, IC09, IC10 etc followed by 6 digits, but mine is IC05 followed by 7 digits.

So I was just wondering if anyone could shine a light as to where or when my Strat was born, cheers!!!

derrymandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

Email Fender customer support right off the fender website and email them that serial #. Someone will get back to you within a day or two with every detail and spec you want to know right down to the day and year it was produced. Thats what I did with my Indonesian VM and they responded same day.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Squier Talker

Cheers boss, i'll give that a go, thanks
Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old 07-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Squiers have been made in the Indonesian Cort factory since the late 90s
Old 07-02-2012, 03:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Squier Talker

Thanks, must do a wee bit more research into it, just wanted to know the real age and where it came from.

I bought it last week from a lady who didnt really know what it was, she kept apologizing for the fact it was missing a string! Paid £40 sterling for it ($60), kind of felt a wee bit guilty afterwards as its in mint condition, but thats the way of the world folks!

One man's trash is another man's fortune........
Old 07-02-2012, 05:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

Why can't i meet ladies like that!
Jazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrymandan View Post
Thanks, must do a wee bit more research into it, just wanted to know the real age and where it came from.
it's an 05 model, either standard or affinity, from indonesia. they put out a lot of nice squiers from that factory, or factories. I can't remember if there's one or two cort factories in indonesia.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Quote:
Hi, this is my first post so bear with me...

I recently bought a 2nd hand Squier Strat, really pleased with it and it plays like a dream as expected. I owned one a few years back and loved it but sold it during my hard-up student days. Anyway...

On the back of the head it says Crafted in Indonesia, with the serial no IC050525656. According to the Fender website, they moved from Korea to the Indonesian Cort factory in 2008. All the serial numbers begin with IC08, IC09, IC10 etc followed by 6 digits, but mine is IC05 followed by 7 digits.

So I was just wondering if anyone could shine a light as to where or when my Strat was born, cheers!!!
As far as I know, the Korean Cort made Squiers ended with the demise of the "Pro Tone" series in 1998. Indonesian Cort production started in 1999 with "Affinity Series" and "Standard Series" (IC99 serials -- you don't see many of these, I think the run was less than the full year and production volume may not have been high even when they were operating due to it being a new factory). I have an IC00 Squier Standard Series which was made in Indonesia in 2000.

Your IC05 is 2005 Indonesian. IC0x Affinities in particular are extremely common, probably the most frequently encountered Squiers on the used market. Standards slightly less so, but still lots of them out there.
softwarejanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Squier Talker

Thanks Softwarejanitor, it has a tiny Standard symbol on the head, which i'd failed to mention, so i'm happy with my cheap purchase! Gonna post a few pics now, haven't even changed the strings on it yet!
Attached Thumbnails
Query regarding "Made In Indonesia" serial number..-img20120703_001-jpg   Query regarding "Made In Indonesia" serial number..-img20120703_002-jpg  

Query regarding "Made In Indonesia" serial number..-img20120703_005-jpg   Query regarding "Made In Indonesia" serial number..-img20120703_006-jpg  

Last edited by derrymandan; 07-03-2012 at 06:05 AM..
Old 07-03-2012, 06:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Squier Talker

Not bad for £40 ($60), wouldn't you agree?

It's a nice kinda burnt amber colour, photos don't really do it justice, so i think i'll christen it with a good loud blast of "Any Colour You Like" by Pink Floyd. Just need those new strings first!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Quote:
Not bad for £40 ($60), wouldn't you agree?

It's a nice kinda burnt amber colour, photos don't really do it justice, so i think i'll christen it with a good loud blast of "Any Colour You Like" by Pink Floyd. Just need those new strings first!
Yes, $60 is a great price for a Standard, usually they sell between $100-$120 around here. You could double your money on it easy around here... that color is pretty close to University of Texas Longhorns' burnt orange color. It goes very nicely with the tortoise pickguard too.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Quote:
Thanks Softwarejanitor, it has a tiny Standard symbol on the head, which i'd failed to mention, so i'm happy with my cheap purchase! Gonna post a few pics now, haven't even changed the strings on it yet!
is it just me or is the headstock the same trans color as the body?
Old 07-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratphobic View Post
is it just me or is the headstock the same trans color as the body?
I think it is mostly just you. I can't see any grain through the finish on the body, but I can clearly see grain in the front of the headstock. The pics are a little dark and a bit fuzzy though, so I can see why you question it.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Squier-holic

i'm kind of wondering because if you look at the bottom left pic the headstock almost looks the same color as the body and the back of the neck is a lot paler than the headstock.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Quote:
i'm kind of wondering because if you look at the bottom left pic the headstock almost looks the same color as the body and the back of the neck is a lot paler than the headstock.
Did you click on the pictures to view them full size?
Old 07-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by softwarejanitor View Post
Did you click on the pictures to view them full size?
hah. just did. the body does look more opaque.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Quote:
hah. just did. the body does look more opaque.
I have noticed that a lot of Strats do tend to yellow more quickly on the face of the headstock than the back of the headstock or back of the neck though. On the older models I believe it was because they sprayed the front with nitro because the decals they used to use weren't compatible with poly... But I don't think that is true anymore. I wonder if they don't tint them differently now or something.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by softwarejanitor View Post
As far as I know, the Korean Cort made Squiers ended with the demise of the "Pro Tone" series in 1998. Indonesian Cort production started in 1999 with "Affinity Series" and "Standard Series" (IC99 serials -- you don't see many of these, I think the run was less than the full year and production volume may not have been high even when they were operating due to it being a new factory).
Last year of MIK Cort was 1998. That was also the 1st year of Indo Cort tho as well... They put out some IC98 models. Hard to find tho as they seemed to start building them at the end of 1998. So they didnt build many before switching over to IC99 models...
Roccobagadonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccobagadonuts View Post
Last year of MIK Cort was 1998. That was also the 1st year of Indo Cort tho as well... They put out some IC98 models. Hard to find tho as they seemed to start building them at the end of 1998. So they didnt build many before switching over to IC99 models...
I stand corrected... I don't recall seeing an IC98, if I have it has been quite a while ago so I would think you are right about them not building many. Even IC99s are far less common than IC00 and later. Seems like the volume really started pumping up around 2002 through 2004 or 2006, those serials are extremely common, especially for Affinities.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
Squier Talker

Ladies ladies, stop your bickering!!! lol Softwarejanitor and stratphobic, both of you are correct in some kinda crazy way...
Softwarejanitor is correct in stating that the body is opaque and you can see the grain on the head, however bonus points go to stratphobic for hawk-eyeing the colour on the front of the head, it seems to be stained to match the body colour.
I love a good scrap! Good to see enthusiasts battle it out online.

Ding ding!!! Now for round 2, what would you play on it for the 1st time? I've suggested "Any Colour You Like" by the Floyd, but no doubt everyone would have their own suggestion. Any takers???