Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum

Go Back   Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum > Squier Discussion Forums > Squier Stratocasters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Squier Stratocasters All kinds of Squier Strats discussed here -- Standard, Bullet, Affinity, Artist, Obey, Classic Vibe, ProTone and Mini discussion.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Squier Talker

Default what kind of replacement bridge should i use for 93 squier

Hello everyone. a fellow member turned me on to guitarfetish.com which is wonderful. i got some wilkerson tuners to replace these old trapezoids on my 93 squier. I know that nobody likes the 93 black letter squiers because of the plywood body. however, i love the neck on this guitar. it is flat and plays like butter. plays much better than alot of american strats. I would love to replace (upgrade the bridge) to acheive slightly better intonation. Can anyone recommend a replacement bridge for me?? thanks!!

shrimppoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimppoboy View Post
Hello everyone. a fellow member turned me on to guitarfetish.com which is wonderful. i got some wilkerson tuners to replace these old trapezoids on my 93 squier. I know that nobody likes the 93 black letter squiers because of the plywood body. however, i love the neck on this guitar. it is flat and plays like butter. plays much better than alot of american strats. I would love to replace (upgrade the bridge) to acheive slightly better intonation. Can anyone recommend a replacement bridge for me?? thanks!!
The Guitar Fetish MIM/Import Upgrade trem with full size steel block and vintage style folded steel saddles is a nice upgrade over the crappy pot metal blocks and die cast zinc saddles on the stock trem. The only caveat is that because your body is probably a little thinner than the normal Fender spec (1-5/8" vs. 1-3/4") you will not be able to have the back cover on or it will interfere with the trem. This isn't really a big deal.

FWIW, I like those necks also... but I replace the crappy plywood bodies with solid wood ones. I've bought used Squier bodies such as ones from SEs and also several of Guitar Fetish's bodies, a couple of the Pawlonia wood ones and one of the Poplar ones in Rockabilly Orange. The bodies I got are all full Fender dimensioned, although some have reported getting 1-5/8" in their GFS bodies.
softwarejanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Squier Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by softwarejanitor View Post
The Guitar Fetish MIM/Import Upgrade trem with full size steel block and vintage style folded steel saddles is a nice upgrade over the crappy pot metal blocks and die cast zinc saddles on the stock trem. The only caveat is that because your body is probably a little thinner than the normal Fender spec (1-5/8" vs. 1-3/4") you will not be able to have the back cover on or it will interfere with the trem. This isn't really a big deal.

FWIW, I like those necks also... but I replace the crappy plywood bodies with solid wood ones. I've bought used Squier bodies such as ones from SEs and also several of Guitar Fetish's bodies, a couple of the Pawlonia wood ones and one of the Poplar ones in Rockabilly Orange. The bodies I got are all full Fender dimensioned, although some have reported getting 1-5/8" in their GFS bodies.
software janitor you rule man you are the one that introduced me to guitar fetish for my new tuners which i love very much btw.... I would also LOVE to buy a new body and trash the plywood but my only problem is that i dont know how to do the wiring.. maybe i can use my same pickguard with same pickups? thanks!!!
Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old 06-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Squier-Nut

do you like your guitar fetish body? im going to get one sometime this year.
JoshNortley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Quote:
software janitor you rule man you are the one that introduced me to guitar fetish for my new tuners which i love very much btw.... I would also LOVE to buy a new body and trash the plywood but my only problem is that i dont know how to do the wiring.. maybe i can use my same pickguard with same pickups? thanks!!!
Yes, you can. All you would need to do would be to run the ground wire through from the electronics over to the trem claw and solder it there and then run the signal and ground wires over to the jack and solder those there. It is pretty simple. For that matter it isn't that hard to wire up a Strat from scratch, I've done it plenty of times.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshNortley View Post
I actually have four of them... three in Pawlonia, one Cherryburst, one in Deep Orange and one in Capri Orange and also one in Poplar in "Rockabilly Orange". All four went together with no major issues and play and sound great. The Poplar one has a CN2 Fender Squier Series neck on it, the Cherryburst body has a VN5 MIK Squier neck on it, the Capri Orange body has an E9 MIK Squier II neck on it and the Deep Orange body has an aftermarket neck on it.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Squier Talker

Quote:
Yes, you can. All you would need to do would be to run the ground wire through from the electronics over to the trem claw and solder it there and then run the signal and ground wires over to the jack and solder those there. It is pretty simple. For that matter it isn't that hard to wire up a Strat from scratch, I've done it plenty of times.
Wow ok it sounds like that is something i can handle on my own. i do have a little experience soldering so i think im gonna give it a try! Hey do you remember the pic you sent me of the same 93 black letter squier neck i have? which one of those bodies that you just mentioned did you mount that same neck on?
Old 06-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Squier Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshNortley View Post
get S.J. to send you a pic of one he built with a guitar fetish body.. they look awesome. im gonna get one also
Old 06-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Quote:
Wow ok it sounds like that is something i can handle on my own. i do have a little experience soldering so i think im gonna give it a try! Hey do you remember the pic you sent me of the same 93 black letter squier neck i have? which one of those bodies that you just mentioned did you mount that same neck on?
I don't have a 1993... I've got a 1992 a 1994 and a 1995... But I think they are basically the same. The 1992 Fender Squier Series I have is on a Rockabilly Orange Poplar body and the CN4 1994 black label is on a black Squier SE body and the VN5 1995 is on a Cherryburst Pawlonia body.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Quote:
get S.J. to send you a pic of one he built with a guitar fetish body.. they look awesome. im gonna get one also

MIK E9 Squier II neck on Capri Orange Pawlonia body

MIK VN5 Squier neck on Cherryburst Pawlonia body

aftermarket neck on Deep Orange Pawlonia body

CN2 Fender Squier Series neck on Rockabilly Orange Poplar body
Old 06-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Squier Talker

Quote:

MIK E9 Squier II neck on Capri Orange Pawlonia body

MIK VN5 Squier neck on Cherryburst Pawlonia body

aftermarket neck on Deep Orange Pawlonia body

CN2 Fender Squier Series neck on Rockabilly Orange Poplar body
AWESOME! RULES