Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum

Go Back   Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum > Squier Discussion Forums > Squier Stratocasters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Squier Stratocasters All kinds of Squier Strats discussed here -- Standard, Bullet, Affinity, Artist, Obey, Classic Vibe, ProTone and Mini discussion.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
formerly dannyvawn

Default 2 point Tremolo upgrade.

Has anyone replaced the block on a Squier Standard Strat with a 2 point tremolo? I'm not having any luck finding one. Even GFS said that their's are not set up for the 2 point. Any help would be appreciated.

Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyvawn View Post
Has anyone replaced the block on a Squier Standard Strat with a 2 point tremolo? I'm not having any luck finding one. Even GFS said that their's are not set up for the 2 point. Any help would be appreciated.
I've put Wilkinson 2 point trems in 3 Squiers now, a CII 2000 Standard, a 1995 VN5 MIK and a MIC 2000 SE. Two of the Wilkinsons came from GuitarFetish.com and one of them came from Mighty-Mite. Installation was straightforward. Using my drill press and a sharp (titanium) bit, I drilled a 3/8" hole the depth of the provided post inserts just outside the center of the outer of the original 6 screw holes and then tapped the brass inserts in, screwed the posts into the inserts...

The center point of the 3/8" holes is the 'X', the 'O' are the original 6 holes...

XO O O O O OX

Does that make sense?
softwarejanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
formerly dannyvawn

I'm not wanting to change the whole bridge at this time. Just the block on the bridge. I already have the 2 point system on my guitar. I wanted to put a steel or brass one on to replace the cast one. I have been told the blocks on the 6 screw and the 2 point are not the same. I assumed they were. If I were to put the wilkinson on would it fit on without modification? I love this 2 point system but the block really needs an upgrade.
Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old 06-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Quote:
I'm not wanting to change the whole bridge at this time. Just the block on the bridge. I already have the 2 point system on my guitar. I wanted to put a steel or brass one on to replace the cast one. I have been told the blocks on the 6 screw and the 2 point are not the same. I assumed they were. If I were to put the wilkinson on would it fit on without modification? I love this 2 point system but the block really needs an upgrade.
I've never tried one on a Squier that was originally 2 point so I'm not sure how well things would line up. The Wilkinsons are supposed to be a direct fit onto a Fender American, but as we know the MIM and import posts are spaced narrower. The Wilkinson has a circular pivot edge on one side and a blade on the other that allows some difference, but I'm not sure if it would be enough.

I've also got no idea whether the GFS blocks will fit a 2 point system, but I would doubt it.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
formerly dannyvawn

If nobody has the answer I will probably have the machine shop make one. I don't think it would cost too much to make.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Quote:
If nobody has the answer I will probably have the machine shop make one. I don't think it would cost too much to make.
There is someone on one of the forums that makes custom trem blocks, but I think he is in the U.K. You are right, a machine shop shouldn't need much more than a band saw and a drill press to make one. You should be able to get a good design by looking at a crapola zinc block and extrapolating the critical dimensions onto a rectangular hunk of cold rolled steel.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

Quote:
Wow, I was about 24 hours away from ordering the brass block from GFS for the 2 point on my Deluxe but I think I'll hold off now. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for any developments - thanks for the heads-up and good luck coming up with something
Old 06-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I replaced the block on my deluxe strat with a gfs steel block from a tremolo like this http://store.guitarfetish.com/minmeimstupt.html that I wasn't using. If the two-point on the standard is the same it should fit. I'm assuming the block on this tremolo is the same as the import 10.5mm spaced block sold by itself. However, I had to widen the tremolo cavity about 1mm or so, because the bigger block was touching the side. If you're ok with that, go for it.
jackke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackke View Post
I replaced the block on my deluxe strat with a gfs steel block from a tremolo like this http://store.guitarfetish.com/minmeimstupt.html that I wasn't using. If the two-point on the standard is the same it should fit. I'm assuming the block on this tremolo is the same as the import 10.5mm spaced block sold by itself. However, I had to widen the tremolo cavity about 1mm or so, because the bigger block was touching the side. If you're ok with that, go for it.
I've put that trem in my "Gilmour-ized" MIK build... but I am not sure the bolt pattern on the plate to the block of a 2-point Squier trem is the same as a 6-screw Squier trem. Anyone know for sure either way?
Old 06-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
formerly dannyvawn

I'm not looking to modify the body so thats not an option. GFS said theirs will not fit. I have checked a few other places and they said they same thing.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Quote:
I'm not looking to modify the body so thats not an option. GFS said theirs will not fit. I have checked a few other places and they said they same thing.
I really wouldn't worry about modifying the body on a Squier. It isn't like it is going to affect the value any.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
formerly dannyvawn

I no longer have the proper tools to do the job and don't want to chisel it. I checked the machine shop and they want $100-150 to make a block. Thats not going to happen. Squier said that guitarpartsresource can probably help but didn't see anything so messaged them and waiting for a response. The worse case scenario, I remove the bridge, fill in the cavity and put a hard tail on it. I need to check the spacing on the wilkinsons.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Quote:
I no longer have the proper tools to do the job and don't want to chisel it. I checked the machine shop and they want $100-150 to make a block. Thats not going to happen. Squier said that guitarpartsresource can probably help but didn't see anything so messaged them and waiting for a response. The worse case scenario, I remove the bridge, fill in the cavity and put a hard tail on it. I need to check the spacing on the wilkinsons.
For what little modification is normally necessary for enlarging a trem hole for installation you can easily do with a dremel and a sandling drum or one of the high speed cutting bits. I had to slightly enlarge the trem hole in the top of the body for my last Wilkinson install and that's how I did it. If you were patient you could probably do it with non-powered hand tools for that matter.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
formerly dannyvawn

Maybe I should just order one and see what need to be done. If it doesn't work I could always sell it. I was just concerned about removing any wood towards the front of the block because there is very little there and don't want to compromise the stability of the posts. There is so little there now that the posts are practically visible. Not quite but there isn't any extra. I still find it odd that out of all of the upgrades we have done to the Squiers, no one has tried this on a 2 point standard.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Quote:
Maybe I should just order one and see what need to be done. If it doesn't work I could always sell it. I was just concerned about removing any wood towards the front of the block because there is very little there and don't want to compromise the stability of the posts. There is so little there now that the posts are practically visible. Not quite but there isn't any extra. I still find it odd that out of all of the upgrades we have done to the Squiers, no one has tried this on a 2 point standard.
I doubt you'd need to remove any from the front. It is the sides that are usually the offender since the larger blocks are often wider.

All of my Squiers are too old to have the 2 point trem, they are all 2000 or older, and I think the 2 point started in 2002.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
formerly dannyvawn

What would you recommend? The 10.5 import?
Old 06-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
formerly dannyvawn

The mexican actually looks more like the one that i have. The hole for the tremolo sets towards the back of the block and the import is in the middle. I am wondering how much thicker this thing will be?
Old 06-17-2010, 11:16 PM   #18 (permalink)

I just got done putting a GFS steel trem block on my 2-point Indoniesian Squier "Hot Rails" Stratocaster. It did fit, The three screw block mounting holes lined up perfectely, I did use slightly longer Stainless Steel screws that I bought at the local hardware store, however you can use your existing screws. The string holes lined up pretty much as well as can be expected, I did use a dremel tool to slightly radius the string holes in the trem plate to keep the trem plate from cutting the strings, it was just a slight radius. The tremolo bar hole in the trem plate was slightly misaligned, but I also slightly ovalised the the trem bar hole in the plate to correct the alignment. You will need the smaller diameter trem bar that is sold by GFS for their trem block. The most difficult thing that I ran into was that the trem block is slightly too wide for the block route in the body, I removed less than a eighth of a inch from each side of the trim block with a file and belt sander, you can do the job with a file alone, but the belt sander leaves a nice finish on the block. I then degreased the block and hit it with some Cold Blue. You could also paint the block or leave just the bare steel, however rust may become a issue. This was a Indonesian made Hot Rails Squier Stratocaster. I do not know if this will work with Chinese or Korean made Tremolos, however it is working great for my guitar, and was easily done with a good file, belt sander, and a dremel tool and some cold blue. I did not modify the guitar body in any way and the original trem block can be reinstalled, with only the slightly ovalized trem bar hole showing any modification. It was a while ago when I ordered the Blocks from GFS, but I believe that I used the 10.5 Import blocks that use the centered trem bar hole. It would probably be best to look closely at your trem plate and see were the trem bar hole is in relation to the mounting screw holes for the trem block on your tremolo before ordering the block.

Last edited by workerunit; 06-17-2010 at 11:29 PM..
workerunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:39 AM   #19 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

I have a block from a newer Fender MIM Standard Strat that bolts to the 2-point bridge plate on my Deluxe, and everything lines up almost perfectly, especially if you screw in the trem arm to act as a guide as you screw in the three screws that hold the block to the base plate.

I think the notches for the two pivot studs is the only difference between the base plates for a two-point tremolo and a vintage-style unit, which has six screw holes and a beveled edge at the top. All the measurements for mounting a block should be the same.
GordonRules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:00 AM   #20 (permalink)
formerly dannyvawn

I think I will get the mexi block because the tremolo hole sits towards the back, I let everyone know how it works. Thanks for all of your input.