Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum

Go Back   Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Pickup Joint
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Pickup Joint Sound advice and discussion about pickups here

Old 07-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Squier-Nut

Default HH Pickguard for Strat

One of the configurations I've been looking at trying is an HH Strat. I've said this to some people and received the reply, "Why?". My only answer is, "Why Not?"

However, there seems to be some disagreement about the positioning of the two humbuckers. One school of thought has one at the neck and the other at the bridge. Another has one at the bridge, and a second about midway between the bridge pickup and the base of the neck.

Also oddly, there are many HSH Strat pickguards kicking around, but very few (unloaded) HH ones. I guess I could just make an HH up, or modify an SSH, but now I'm wonderring about optimum pickup placement for both. If I have to make up a pickguard, I will, but it would be nice to have the two HB's in the best locations, soundwise.

Anyhow, it's just something I've been wondering about.

Jim B

Jim Baritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Squier-holic

I have read stuff that talks about how a pickups position changes its tone, even just by slightly moving it one way or the other in relation to the bridge.

I've never been crazy about how a neck humbucker lands on a strat, because with a single coil, the pickup sits right over what would be the 24th fret and it gives it that certain tone, but a neck humbucker sits to where the middle of the pickup sits over what would be the 24th fret and I would like to have a custom pickguard that has the neck humbucker moved to where the front coil sits where the 24th fret would be so I could split the pickup and get that strat neck pickup kind of tone.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Squier-holic

I can see owning a HH Stratocaster. Or maybe a HHH Stratocaster.
Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old 07-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

There are unloaded HH pickguards all over ebay. You have just to pick one.
pchilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

http://www.greasygroove.com/categories.php?cat=349

I have been looking here because I may change the pg on my HH Bullet.One humbucker in bridge and one in neck positions.
Ohio_Squier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Here's a photo of an HH Strat that I modded for a friend. The B/W/B pickguard is from GFS, and the saddles are Graphtech (as is the nut). Great playing guitar; it plays like a Strat but sounds a lot like a Gibson :
Attached Thumbnails
HH Pickguard for Strat-car_hh_strat_modded_3-jpg   HH Pickguard for Strat-car_hh_strat_modded_7-jpg  

Old 07-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Here's another HH Strat; it started out as an SSS Squier Bullet Strat. I wrote a primer about this build and would be happy to Email the PDF to you. Just PM your Email address to me if you're interested.
Attached Thumbnails
HH Pickguard for Strat-completed_sb_strat_2-jpg  
Old 07-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

I have one of them.

converted it to SSS, can't really say it was the best decision.

oh and there's some HH pg.s
http://www.eyguitarmusic.com/For-Fender-HH_c_48.html
Old 07-20-2013, 03:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Squier Talker

A start is a great generic guitat, being able to copy others with pickups controls and such.

I do own a HHH but its set up as a normal start with Hum's
HH would be easier to have a HSH and you could wire the S as a dummy coil.
Or you could just fake a pickup there, and still have you 'Les Paul' sound

I've had a HSH and I just used a toggle to change it from HSH to HH
To get the most out of the guitar with the mini of dam buttons, passive only
And let the effects and amps add the power if you want
Angel LaHash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Squier-holic

If you want to experiment with optimal pickup positions you could butcher a pickguard and empty out the center and cut slots from top to bottom where the pickup mounting screws are. That way you can move the pickups to where they sound the best to you. When you get them where you want just get a pickguard with no pickup cutouts and cut them out where you like.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Squier-Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgearhead View Post
If you want to experiment with optimal pickup positions you could butcher a pickguard and empty out the center and cut slots from top to bottom where the pickup mounting screws are. That way you can move the pickups to where they sound the best to you. When you get them where you want just get a pickguard with no pickup cutouts and cut them out where you like.
Funny, I had exactly the same thought this morning while I was sorting through some bits and pieces. Just one long slot, with pickup mounting screws in either slots, or in holes spaced fairly close together (or no screws at all - just some temporary fixing method. Might be worth a try, just for the sake of experimentation.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Squier-Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchilson View Post
There are unloaded HH pickguards all over ebay. You have just to pick one.
Yes, there are a number of them. And if you log into Fleabay with an address in Canada, just about all of those sources come up with a block letter statement where the shipping info would be: "Will Not Ship To Canada". Some of them are more polite and say, "May Not Ship To Canada", but when you phone them up, or e-mail, it's the same deal.

I do have intermediaries in the U.S. of A. who will act as a mailing address, then mail the parts up to me. However, I always find it vaguely surprising that many companies simply are not interested in selling parts to me if my shipping address is in Canada.

When I worked in the U.S.A. for A Very Large Computer Company based in the U.S.A., I still ran into the same thing.

Strange but true.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Squier-Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Klash View Post
Here's another HH Strat; it started out as an SSS Squier Bullet Strat. I wrote a primer about this build and would be happy to Email the PDF to you. Just PM your Email address to me if you're interested.
Kid,
Thank you very much for your kind offer. PM sent.

I was in a guitar shop yesterday, and mentioned my plan to put an HH pickup setup onto a Strat. The idea was greeted with scorn and ridicule; I was deemed to be some kind of nut.

Yup. A Squier-Nut.

Jim Baritone

P.S. I'm also building an HSH Squier Strat - the howls that idea produced were truly amazing. I could have taped them as sound effects for a zombie movie...
Old 07-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Squier-Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Klash View Post
Here's a photo of an HH Strat that I modded for a friend. The B/W/B pickguard is from GFS, and the saddles are Graphtech (as is the nut). Great playing guitar; it plays like a Strat but sounds a lot like a Gibson :
I do love those graphite nuts and saddles. I think I should buy some shares in the company. The Red and Black make a nice combination, with that thin white line on the edge of the p/g

Old 07-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Squier-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Baritone View Post
Kid,
Thank you very much for your kind offer. PM sent.

I was in a guitar shop yesterday, and mentioned my plan to put an HH pickup setup onto a Strat. The idea was greeted with scorn and ridicule; I was deemed to be some kind of nut.

Yup. A Squier-Nut.

Jim Baritone

P.S. I'm also building an HSH Squier Strat - the howls that idea produced were truly amazing. I could have taped them as sound effects for a zombie movie...
It's too bad about the doubters/howlers... they don't know what they're missing.