Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum

Go Back   Fender® Squier® Guitar and Bass Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Other Guitars
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Other Guitars Non-Squier guitar discussion fits nicely in the "Other Guitars" forum.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

Default Douglas Shadow Pro vs. Agile AL2000

Anyone have an opinion on either of these LP style guitars? I hear nothing but great things about the Agiles,is it worth $100 more?They look kind of similar...

stratcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
-----------

the Shadow Pros get consistently rave reviews too.

its very hard to choose between the two. the Agiles are supposedly better, but they cost more. i guess you can't really lose either way.
peskypesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Squier Talker

The Shadow Pros used to be priced at $189, not much less than the AL2000. I think the biggest difference is in the fit and finish. The Shadow Pros can sometimes come with high frets and whatnot whereas the AL-2000s usually have decent frets. I think the pots and switch in the Shadow Pro are of lesser quality as well. Overall the new Shadow Pros are very close in quality to the AL2000s. There's a pretty good review on the Agile Guitar Forum.

I've been really close to pulling the trigger on a CSB Shadow Pro myself. If one pops up as a b stock with no serious damage I'm definitely nabbing it.
trls23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old 01-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
-----------

the Shadow Pro price has dropped to $125. very hard to not pull the trigger!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Squier Talker

IMO, yes - Agile.
JDRNoPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

The agile wins in a side by side, but Douglas is a steal at that price. Plus Kurt has a great return policy if you don't dig it
uglyvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Squier-Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyvw View Post
The agile wins in a side by side, but Douglas is a steal at that price. Plus Kurt has a great return policy if you don't dig it
^^^this^^^
Old 01-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
-----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyvw View Post
really? hmm...my finger just got a bit tighter on the trigger....
Old 01-07-2011, 12:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

im thinking of getting either a shadow pro or just throwing in the extra 100 for a agile- but still undecided, so u say the shadow pro was 189, very interesting.....
*Jackson KE3-81&85 EMG Humbuckers
*Agile Al2000
*Peavey Vypyr 15
\\nn// KEEP ON ROCKIN \\nn//
GEARHEAD91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
-----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEARHEAD91 View Post
im thinking of getting either a shadow pro or just throwing in the extra 100 for a agile- but still undecided, so u say the shadow pro was 189, very interesting.....
have you seen this new one?

http://www.rondomusic.com/product3996.html

Old 01-07-2011, 03:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

i just seen that they have certain color agile dauntless emgs for 225. im thinking this might be a good deal. im liking the gold one, whats your thoughts?
*Agile Al2000
*Peavey Vypyr 15
Old 01-07-2011, 03:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
-----------

i'm not crazy about the black EMG pickups, at least in terms of looks.

how about this sweet Dauntless?
http://www.rondomusic.com/dauntlesssbd2ts.html

Old 01-07-2011, 09:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
Squier-Nut

The Dauntless EMGs are kinda odd pups - no one that I know really likes them much. I think it comes down to for most folks, they just aren't enough of what they want. Like for me and others like me, they are just too metalish and hot. But for the guys really wanting EMG hotness and stuff, they are too weak and tame. Kinda in the middle without anyone to love, you know? Its sad...

That said, the Duncan Designed on the other model of the Dauntless are OK if a tad darker than I usually like. The thing with the Dauntless models is this, though - unless you LOVE the pups, and are gonna keep em, you are basically overpaying for an AL2000. The Dauntless and AL2000 are basically the same guitar with different pups is what I am trying to say. I tend to think that the 2ks and 3ks are the big winners in the AL lineup. But of course, that is just my opinion.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Squier-holic

I've been gassin' for this one...
http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000tribalblue.html

woolbrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

So does anyone know the real difference between the Douglas and the Agile?Is it as simple as one being Korean made and one Chinese made?
stratcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
-----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratcross View Post
So does anyone know the real difference between the Douglas and the Agile?Is it as simple as one being Korean made and one Chinese made?
well, that's definitely a big difference.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
The Dauntless EMGs are kinda odd pups - no one that I know really likes them much. I think it comes down to for most folks, they just aren't enough of what they want. Like for me and others like me, they are just too metalish and hot. But for the guys really wanting EMG hotness and stuff, they are too weak and tame. Kinda in the middle without anyone to love, you know? Its sad...

That said, the Duncan Designed on the other model of the Dauntless are OK if a tad darker than I usually like. The thing with the Dauntless models is this, though - unless you LOVE the pups, and are gonna keep em, you are basically overpaying for an AL2000. The Dauntless and AL2000 are basically the same guitar with different pups is what I am trying to say. I tend to think that the 2ks and 3ks are the big winners in the AL lineup. But of course, that is just my opinion.

see i dont mind emgs, and right now they have the one i want for the same price as the 2k so i think i might get it.
*Agile Al2000
*Peavey Vypyr 15
Old 01-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Squier-Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEARHEAD91 View Post
see i dont mind emgs, and right now they have the one i want for the same price as the 2k so i think i might get it.
Just remember, they are passive EMG selects - not the active high end ones. I am not a metal guy by any stretch, and usually don't dig EMGs, so I am hardly a snob on this whole question. Just want to make sure that is ABUNDANTLY clear... I have never found someone who actually likes EMGs normally that liked the EMG Selects. Just a heads up. But if you wanna try it, might as well if it is the same price as the AL2k. At that point you have nothing to lose.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
Just remember, they are passive EMG selects - not the active high end ones. I am not a metal guy by any stretch, and usually don't dig EMGs, so I am hardly a snob on this whole question. Just want to make sure that is ABUNDANTLY clear... I have never found someone who actually likes EMGs normally that liked the EMG Selects. Just a heads up. But if you wanna try it, might as well if it is the same price as the AL2k. At that point you have nothing to lose.
see i have heard the same thing about the selects but at this point ive got the ole' thinker set on getting one and now when i look at another guitar the dauntless pops in my head, lol.

anyone own a goldtop version? wondering how they look..
*Agile Al2000
*Peavey Vypyr 15
Old 01-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Squier-Meister

Sorry for to mix into this a little late.

I have a Shadow CSB, which in my opinion if the pickups had covers it would be unbeatable. Well, it's just a good choice.

The CSB is cheap (125 when I bought mine 2 years ago) and holds up like a champ. There have been no issues with the guitar, there was no issues with the setup either... Meaning I didn't have to set it up, Kurt at Rondo set it up beautifully. It has super bling on the stop bar, tuners and the knobs. If the tuners fit my Squier, I would have bought those for the Squier, they are that good. It never had/has a buzz, it came with D'Addario Strings and i've never switched to any other brand. The vintage white pickguard and poker chip really set it off for me, and the knobs like I said before are just awesome.

Its big and its beefy, it can be used in place of like maybe a bullet proof vest, but its solid and has Unbelievable sustain. I mean you could probably drill for oil with this thing and it wouldn't damage it.

But thats just me, I know that the Agile's are a bit better, but for the price, the Shadow is AWESOME!!! Almost as awesome as my Squier.

I'm 90% Sure this thing could survive a KISS Concert and still make it out without a scratch.
joeybigO is offline   Reply With Quote